Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1980 Bayliner 21ft Liberty Cabin Cruiser Inboard 470 dies…

1980 Bayliner 21ft Liberty...

1980 Bayliner 21ft Liberty Cabin Cruiser Inboard 470 dies when trying to run wide open?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

That is it, runs great except when trying to run wide open

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Dying when trying to run wide open is a fuel starvation issue, and fuel starvation can happen for a number of reasons. Have you done any kind of testing or troubleshooting on your own yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not yet, I was going to test flow and pressure of fuel pump? are these good motors?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

They are very old motors that were discontinued a long time ago. Did you have any specific questions as far as hot to test pressures. Or would you prefer if I explained what we would do in the shop, going step by step, covering all bases?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, typing is fine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
anything else I should check besides pump and filter

Yes there is, give me a 10 minutes or so to get you an answer typed up with pictures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK

The problem may or may not be on the engine itself. As simple as this sounds you always start by running it off of a different fuel tank, like a small plastic portable tank. Half the time there isn't anything wrong the motor itself, but rather something wrong with the boats fuel system. This can be a pinched or collapsing fuel line, bad a fuel tank that is not venting properly, or a bad anti siphon valve. Before hooking up a portable tank to the engine, simply crack open your fill cap, that will manually vent the tank. If that makes, no difference, then hook the engine up to a portable tank. This is a pass or fail test, and the engine is either going to run better or it is not. If it does run better, on this portable tank, first change the anti siphon valve and retest with the engine hooked back up to the boats fuel tank. If it goes back to running poor on the boats fuel tank, the tank will need to be inspected for a clog in it as well as a rotten fuel pickup. Bad anti siphon valves are a common problem, when they go back they create a blockage and restrict the amount of fuel that flows to the engine. If the engine does not get enough fuel it obviously will not make full power, and it will stall out from running out of gas. Click this link, this explains more on the anti siphon valve and why they go bad. http://www.sterndrives.com/anti-syphon-valve.html. On this anti siphon valve there is an inlet side and an outlet side. The inlet side faces the fuel tank, the outlet side faces the fuel line. When the engine runs, the fuel pump creates suction. This suction pulls the check ball off of it's seat and fuel is allowed to flow around it. The problem with this is over time the spring in the valve will get weak or simply break. When that happens the check ball will be free to jump to the outlet side of the valve and create a blockage/restriction on the outlet side of the valve. If the spring is simply weak and not broken, this will more or less happen at random. Click this link for a picture, it will make more sense once you see it http://imgur.com/a/tpq4H. The anti siphon valve itself is located at the fuel tank, where the fuel line connects. If you pull the fuel line off the tank you will see a hose barb, that hose barb is the anti siphon valve. As part of this test replace all fuel filters. If there is no change on the portable tank, then the problem is on the engine, and you are down to either a bad fuel pump or a dirty carb, not allowing enough fuel to travel from the carb to the engine. The next step here is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and go run the boat as fast as you can. Fuel pressure must be 3 psi or better. If the fuel pressure drops before the engine stalls. The fuel pump is weak. If the fuel pressure holds when the engine stalls, then there is enough fuel getting to the carb, and the problem is ultimately going to be a dirty carb, not allowing fuel to make it from the carb and into the engine. Does that all make sense to you. That is where you stand on your end and what the problem is. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You Great job explaining!

You are very welcome. Please do not forget to select a 5 star rating for my service. Thanks again! -Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic