Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 93 mercury force 120 hp it will tach only 3000 rpm…

I have a 93...

I have a 93 mercury force 120 hp it will tach only 3000 rpm then if you hit a wake it will suddenly run fine . Starts good idles fine , compression check is good on all cyl replaced stator, and ignition box, fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

The fuel pump is from a 97 force 120

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if after running ok, it reverts to only taching to 3000 rpm after the throttle iis returned to nuteral
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/17/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you have the serial number for the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no the tag is gone

Are all the wires to the switchbox tight in their connections?

Have you looked at the plug boots to make sure that there is not a cracked one that is throwing park out it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all the wires are tight I do have some concerns about the spark plug boots where they attach to the coils they look like they may have had some sealant applied at one time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I suppose I could check the spark at night to see if its arcing

That would be a area of concern for sure and can cause an issue like this. When you hit a wake it can shake the engine and move the wire slightly causing it to make or break contact. You can get them from the attached site. You will need to order 4 of them.

https://www.boats.net/product/mercury/821945T28

If it is hitting the cowling you would not know unless it is installed. You can shake the engine some to see if it cuts out any. you can actually get shocked by a spark jumping to the cowling, even though it is plastic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What your saying makes sense , but the boat pounds pretty good at full throttle when it runs , then when you cut back to neutral the same problem 3000rpm
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I HAVE A PLUG CHECKER AND IT SHOWS FIRE ON ALL PLUGS AT IDLE

Do you also have a multimeter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I DO
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
STATOR AND E4 ARE NEW

Ok, either at idle or cranking, test the voltage going to the switchbox on the red wire to ground. It needs to be 25V at idle and come up as the engine speed does.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IF IT DONT

Then the stator is failing. Even if it is new.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
GUESS I'LL CHECK THE COILS AND THE STATOR, i HAVE ALL BUT GIVEN UP . WOULD BAD COILS OR COIL CAUSE THE PROBLEM

One bad coil can reduce the RPM down that far. Take them loose and check the grounds on the backside of them. Make sure that they are clean.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANKS FOR THE HELP , i HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO FIX MY PROBLEMS, BUT THIS HAS ME STUMPED
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
tHE MOTOR SAT FOR A WHILE BEFORE i BOUGHT IT TO REPLACE A 97 FORCE THAT BLEW UP

Let me know what kind of readings you get and we can go from there if we need to.

Since it sat, the carbs may need to be gone thru as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wENT THROUGH THE CARBS , CHANGED FUEL LINES , FILTERS AND FUEL PUMP

Ok, let me know about the coils and the grounds on them and the test on the stator.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Stator checked ok, have other commitments Tuesday going to check wires to coils and ohm coils Wednesday. I called a Marina they get $128.00 an hour for that I can replace all the coils . What you said makes sense , I have either a bad connection or bad coil I think.

Let me know how the test go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
found the number 3 coil was cracked . thank you for your help Charles

That will drop you several hundred RPM on top and also slow down the holeshot of the boat fir sure.

You are welcome. Do you need the part number for it?