Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Alt stopped charging, diagnosed as a fuse just want to be…

Customer Question
Alt stopped charging, diagnosed...

Alt stopped charging, diagnosed as a blown fuse just want to be sure it is not something systemic... 2015, 4-stroke, 150HP

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Blown fuse in the engines electrical system stopped charging ran batter down. Ran fine up to that point. Interested to know what would cause the internal fuse to blow?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 24 days ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Who makes your 150 engine? Do you have a model or serial number on it so I can identify it?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Its a Mercury - don't have the SN handy

Which fuse on the engine blew? And did it re-blow when you installed a new fuse?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Chat is fine... The fuse has been replaced by my local mechanic I just want to know if this is a systemic problem and what might
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It was the fuse that contolled the charging of the battery from the alternator did not reblow ... yet
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Jason.... still with me?

I'm here, i'm looking at wiring diagrams.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
55357;�
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK

There isn't a fuse that is specifically for the alternator. What was the amp rating on this fuse that blew? This is going to be more complicated than you think, are you near the outboard now?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No - Ill check back with the site when I get to the Marina. Thanks for the help.

If you look at the fuse holder itself, what I need to know are 2 things. I need to know the amp rating on the fuse that blew. then, I need to know the color of the 2 wires that go to that specific fuse.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Understand... thanks again.

You bet. I'll catch you later on.