Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1996 4 winns, volvo 4.3, Engine cold starts fine and will…

Customer Question
1996 4 winns, volvo...

1996 4 winns, volvo 4.3, Engine cold starts fine and will run all day if you do not shut it off. Shut it off after running for a few hours, swim, goof around for an hour. It will start up fine, idle for a few minutes, give it gas to pull a tuber, boat runs a 100yds then quits like fuel starved. Try to start it, almost catches, but will not run, get towed to the dock. Let it sit over night, starts fine and everything repeats itself the next day.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Fuel pump replaced 2 years ago, replaced the fuel pump relay (square thing) maybe 1-2 times last year. Seemed like it ran fine for a couple of weeks last year after replacing relay. This year same problem.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
6/1/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can I get the full and complete model number on the engine as it reads on the engines ID tag? Next, you said that it seems like it's fuel starved. Did you actually measure fuel pressure to confirm that was the problem? Or check for spark output with a timing light when it would not start?

Joe. I got nothing for you. The boat is not nearby. Not able to check fuel pressure or timing light even if at the boat. Got anything else?

Hi Joe, good morning and sorry for the delay. When you replied back last night I had already logged off for the evening. No I really don't have anything else. Unless you have specific questions I can help you with i'm not sure what else to say.