Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2014 Mercury Verado 300 outboard. The engine gets…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 Mercury Verado 300 outboard. The engine gets to 8-10 miles per hr and the throttle stops working. I can find a mechanic in the area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Someone told me it may need some kind of code?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not really. I am not a mechanic so my knowledge is limited

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Does the alarm sound when this happens?

What is the engine RPM when you hit this speed?

The alarm sounds. The RPM is about 2500

Is it a beeping alarm? Or a solid tone?

beeping

Ok, the part that you need to test is part 8 in this diagram. It is a shift switch. If it is sticking the PCM on the engine will not know that it is in gear and will not allow you to rev the engine. This sensor is located in the front center of the engine. You will need a multimeter to test it.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/mercury/outboard-by-hp/300hp/1b517434-thru-2b144122-usa-cat-90-896280008-verado/upper-shift-components

Could this kick in and out? Sometimes it works fine for a while. Is this common? Do you know estimate repair costs?

Yes it can stick sometimes and not others, It is often caused by excess grease on it that causes it to stick.

Repair cost should be 1 hr of labor plus the part. Many shops will often also charge you for the computer diagnosis on it.