Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My boat was not wanting to start, so I replaced the starter…

Customer Question
My boat was not...

My boat was not wanting to start, so I replaced the starter and it then started. Got it out on the water and it idles fine, but when I go forward with the throttle, it will only go about half its speed. After driving it a little bit, I tried to start it up again and it would not start..

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Last year before it was winterized, my father forgot to put drain plug in and filled a lot of water up in engine compartment. Also, did not put any stabil in gas when I put it away for winter

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

Have you checked the fuel for water and have you tried using a portable fuel tank connected directly to the engine to see if there is any change?

Not yet, going to drain gas tank today and put fresh fuel in it to see if that changes amything

The best thing to do if possible is connect a portable tank because this eliminates everything at one time and if it still has the problem you know it is not the supply system to that point. At min getting rid of all the old gas if bad may help, esp if it was not ethanol free. Also try removing gas fill cap and see if it then runs without issue.

Thanks,

Joe

How long since boat was winterized and is it carb or fuel injected?