Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Launched my boat for the summer and noticed the speedo is…

Customer Question
Launched my boat for...

Launched my boat for the summer and noticed the speedo is not working. Checked the connections and all is ok. The I realized that it is not actually stuck at zero, but all the way clockwise and back around. Is it possible the shop blew out the pitot tube when winterizing and caused this? If so, Ho do I get the needle back to 0? Could it just be a clog somewhere?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not beyond what I provided above.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
5/29/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. It's probably just a bad gauge. Have you tried pulling the rubber hose off the back of it yet?

My name is Andrew. I wouldn't think the gauge is faulty as it worked at the end of last season and it seems something would have caused it to spin. I did not have a chance to pull the tube. Could a buildup in pressure cause that? Is there any way to "spin" the needle back to see if it is working?

HI Andrew, no there is no way to spin the needle back. The way this thing works is on the inside of the gauge there is a rubber diaphragm, that diaphragm is connected to the needle. When you run the boat through the water, water pressure pushes against the pitot tube. This water pressure pushes against the air in the rubber hose that connects the pitot to the gauge. However, water itself will not run to the gauge, just air. There are 2 things that happen to those diaphragms. The first is they can tear, and when that happens air pressure will leak through the gauge, and water will get into the gauge, ruining it. The 2nd thing that happens is the rubber disphragms simply get stiff and dry rot. It is just rubber in there and that rubber is no different than any other kind of rubber. The diaphragm needs to be flexible in order for the gauge to work. When the diaphragm gets stiff, the gauge locks up. On average these types of gauges only last 4 or 5 years at best and then they are no good. Because of that, and because they are also not the most accurate things out there. Most people will either not bother repair it, and just rely on GPS for a speed reading. Or replace that speedometer with an actual GPS speedometer that is accurate. For example, where I live, work and boat, we do have speed limits down here because we haver slow zones. There are many intercoastal waterways that have a strict 25 MPH speed limit. Many people get tickets because their water pressure driven speedometer might be reading 25, but the but is actually doing 30 or 35. Does that all make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

The boat is only a year old so I doubt that is the issue. The gauge did not "lock up". For that reason, I also don't; want to replace the gauge - I really on care for skiing and tubing.

Okay so this is real easy. There is a rubber tube on the back of the gauge. Just unplug the tube. If the needle drops back to zero, then you really did have some kind of pressure build up in the hose (I have never personally seen that happen, but I guess anything is possible) If the needle still stay where it is with the rubber hose off, then you have a bad gauge. Does that make sense.

Did you happen to be near the boat now to check this or are you not near the boat now?

Unfortunately, no.

No problem, I can follow up with you at a later date. When would be a good time to follow up?

Thanks. Will let you know after I get back to the boat.

You are very welcome. Let me know how you make out.