Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My 115 outvbaord stalls when i go in reverse, any thoughts?

Customer Question
My 115 outvbaord stalls...

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Little bit last season but noticed it for sure this season when I picked up the boat

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, just wanted to direct the local tech as to the potential problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thats it

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Boat
5/29/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 25 days ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but do not see any kind of model information. Which engine are you asking about specifically? Who makes it, do you have a model or serial number on it so that I can ID the outboard?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Yamaha F115TLRc boat engine

Got it. How does it do in forward gear? Does the engine make full power under a load while in forward? Will it do 5000K+ Rpms with the boat going max speed?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no issues in forward gear, at all speeds. Just when low speed in reverse and mostly when cold

Hmmm... Is it stalling as soon as you shift it into reverse, or is it stalling when in reverse and giving it some throttle?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
stalling when in reverse and giving it a little power. If i goose it, it does not stall. (but the boat crashes into the dock)
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
in reverse and giving it little throttle, fine if i give it a lot

Hmm... You said it happens more when cold. Did you happen to check and see if the engine itself was running cold? If the engine has a stuck open thermostat it will end up running cold and will always end up running rich. This is easy enough to check, just pull the cover off, run the engine for 10 minutes, then touch the head. Have you checked that yet?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
nope, i can do that this weekend

Start with that and let me know how you make out.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
how does this work, when i log in next week, we will pick it up then?

Yes, just reply right back here when you are ready. Your responses come directly to me and they don't go to anybody else.