Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 48 foot Fountain 2009 with three Merc 700 scr

Customer Question
I have a 48...

I have a 48 foot Fountain 2009 with three Merc 700 scr engines

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I have a 2009 fountain with 3 700 SCI mercruiser engines and the starboard engine keep blowing the ignition circuit of the PCM to be exact it's always the pin #1 on the middle plug or #2 plug. I have replaced all 8 ignition coils,IAC, Crank and cam position sensor, and now the wire harness. Any help would be great

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
5/29/2018
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

Have you tried swapping pcm's and seeing what then happens? Specifically does the problem stay with the engine or follow the pcm to the other engine?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe ,It stays with the engine we have gone thru several pcm's

ok, what happens when you disconnect the fuel pumps?

I don't understand, these have a mechanical pump and an electric fuel pump. When the engine will not run, the ignition circuit is dead, and it takes a new PCM to get it going again.
Acording to the PCM repair guy it's the same pin on all PCM's that has fried. As I mentioned before it's pin # 1 on the middle plug # 2 or B
Its the ignition not the fuel That fries

Ok that's new info that was not provided prior, I did not know it was ruining pcm's only that it was tripping the breaker.

Can you please tell me everything you have already gone over and tried/tested?

Sorry, it's not tripping a breaker, it blows the pcm circuit and no ignition and no start.
We have installed 3 new pcm's and had them repaired now
We installed new iac, new crank position sensor, new cam position sensor, installed all 8 new ignition coils, checked and cleaned all grounds, replaced the main wire harness
We had problems with the shift interrupt swith on the transmission but now have it disconnected.
It is disconnected on all three engines and the other two have had no issue with blowing any pcm.
As you must know the pcm's are big bucks even to send out for repair.
The repair tech at Simon Performance Technology said it's the same pin circuit blown in all the pcm's

Does this happen as soon as connected, or only once key is on or only when you try to start?

Main harness being the one on the engine or engine to helm?

Sometimes it runs for a few days ok. then sometimes it will not start - no spark and we can unplug the pcm and plug it in again and away we go for a while. It never happens when it's running, only after you shut down and go to restart.
The main engine harness was relpaced
I have not heard back from you?
Any ideas?
The problem is always the same engine Starboard, the centre engine and port have never been a problem
I believe I have been charged money but no good answer
Please respond

Good morning, my apologies, I had thought I opted out in order to open this up to other experts for you. Let me go ahead and do so now. Another expert should hopefully be with you shortly.

Thanks,

Joe