Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1980 kawasaki 650 no spark. kill switch disconnected. I am…

Customer Question
1980 kawasaki 650...

1980 kawasaki 650 no spark. kill switch disconnected

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 650 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am and i disconnected the kill button

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked all connections in the box

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
how do you test the coil with an ohm meter
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
this is a jet ski
Answered in 3 days by:
6/1/2018
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 23 days ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
i do . how do you test the coil, i have not got any spark
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 22 days ago

Here are the various readings you are looking for, using a multimeter on the wires inside the electrical box.

CDI TEST

Black Red (Negative multimeter lead) to:
Black Yellow: 500,000 ---> ∞ Ω
Black: ∞ Ω
Blue: 500,000 ---> ∞ Ω

Black Yellow (Negative multimeter lead) to:
Black Red: 3000-6000 Ω
Black: ∞ Ω
Blue: 0 Ω

Black (Negative multimeter lead) to:
Black Red: 15,000-25,000 ---> 50,000-100,000 Ω
Black Yellow: 15,000-25,000 ---> 50,000-100,000 Ω
Blue: 15,000-25,000 ---> 50,000-100,000 Ω

Blue (Negative multimeter lead) to:
Black Red: 3000-6000 Ω
Black Yellow: 0 Ω
Black: ∞ Ω

STATOR SPECS AND TEST

Charging coil output (Yellow to Yellow): 38V AC

Yellow (Negative multimeter lead) to:
Yellow: 1.5-2.3 Ω
Black: 0.7-1.3 Ω

REGULATOR/RECTIFIER TEST

White (Negative multimeter lead) to:
Black: ∞ Ω
Yellow1: ∞ Ω
Yellow2: ∞ Ω

Black (Negative multimeter lead) to:
White: ∞ Ω
Yellow1: ∞ Ω
Yellow2: ∞ Ω

Yellow1 (Negative multimeter lead) to:
White: 1000-5000 Ω
Black: 2000-10,000 Ω
Yellow2: ∞ Ω

Yellow2 (Negative multimeter lead) to:
White: 1000-5000 Ω
Black: 2000-10,000Ω
Yellow1: ∞ Ω