Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My boat starts right up and I run it around for awhile. Then…

Customer Question
My boat starts right...

My boat starts right up and I run it around for awhile. Then we shut it down to go for a swim, lunch, or whatever. Then, it won't start up again. In the past I've taken it out of normal start setting and used shifter to crank it back up. Today, it would not start back up at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

This has been going on for awhile. Today was the first day I could not get it going again. Actually, it started up fine, and after stopping for awhile, I had gotten it going by fiddling with it, then drove back to our slip, shut it down, and could not get it going again.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
This is a 1993 4 Winns with a 5.8L V8 Mercruiser Cobra IO. Electronic carburetor
5/29/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. There is no such thing as a Mercrusier Cobra. Do you have the model or serial number on the engine available, or some pictures of it so I can see what you have?

Sorry, I admit to sending confusing information. The motor is a 5.8L with OMC Cobra out drive. My boat is an hour away so I cannot provide more info...I will do so after my next visit.

Do you know if the engine is EFI or carbureted? If you are not sure then I will just wait for the model number.

EFI

Got it. I don't work on the EFI engines. I will opt out and leave your question open the community. Good luck.

Thank you
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

Have you checked fuel pressure during when it will not start, at this point even releasing pressure from shreader valve may help as I want to see if it is vapor locked. If you open the engine hatch when you shut the engine down and leave it open, will it still have the same problem?

Thanks,

Joe

Yesterday I did leave the hatch open for awhile and tried to start it to no avail, but not sure if I left it open long enough, and I'd never had to do that before when I was able to get it going. This was the first time when I actually could not get it to start after working the throttle. How do I check fuel pressure and release pressure from the shreader valve? At one point, after getting it going and heading for home, when I did accelerate, I had problems getting power to get it going but it corrected itself.
You’d need to have the hatch open during operation and before shutting down, in an attempt to keep the engine area cooler. The fuel pressure port would be near the filter housing or on the fuel rail. Pretty much trying to see if you have a vapor lock issue.
I will check that

Sounds good.