Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I had one of the trim cylinders replaced about 3 months ago…

Customer Question
I had one of...

I had one of the trim cylinders replaced about 3 months ago by a certified mechanic. It worked fine. Did not use the boat for about 3 months. Went for a ride and tried to trim it up and it didn't work. Motor runs, trimmed up about 3" and that was it. I am hoping there just isn't enough fluid in it. Do you know how to check to see if there is enough fluid without trimming the engine all the way up? Boat is on a hoist.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No that's the only problem I am having at the moment. Thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/28/2018
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

Based on your description I'm guessing this is an outboard (you providing the model and serial numbers will greatly assist me), for now what I can say is on the side of the bracket you will see a hole with a flat head groove, that is a manual release for the trim system, unscrew it slightly to which you can then manually lift the motor by hand and take note they are heavy and if you let go it will drop and can cause damage so whatever you dodo not drop it or let go of it (this is why two people are best), once motor is lifted set it on its lock, you can also turn the release screw back in at this time. Now you can check the fluid. Check your other cylinder and hydraulics for leaks as well. Pitting on the shaft will lead to oring failure leading to leaks.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Thanks for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

The information provided was helpful. Thank you.

You're very welcome, if you need anything further please let me know.