Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I just purchased a 2003 Silverton 38 Convertible and have…

Customer Question
I just purchased a...

I just purchased a 2003 Silverton 38 Convertible and have two issues I cannot resolve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I just purchased a 2003 Silverton 38 convertible and have two issues I cannot resolve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Just purchased a 2003 Silverton 38 convertible and have two issues. 1. My sliding screen door constantly binds up. Is there a replacement available somewhere? 2. The fresh water and the waste tank gauges do not work and do not light up. Have tried fresh water switch to no avail. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 3 days by:
6/1/2018
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 23 days ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have not received a reply yet you are charging me? WTF?
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 22 days ago

There have been no charges made unless you agreed to a deposit in order to start the process. You have not actually paid anything until you have rated the answers satisfactory. The sliding screen uses standard rollers found in most screen doors. You should be able to find replacements at your local hardware store (Mom and Pop if the big box store doesn't have them.) A good source of parts for older Silvertons not supported by the factory (Although I have found the factory very helpful in many cases.) is Mauricetown Marine, they bought up a bunch of new old stock and have a good inventory. Is there a name on your tank gauge display? Silverton used several over the years.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Will check this marine source for the door.
Re: Gauges..... Both water and waste tank gauges are dead. I suspect a power source failure, not gauge failure (neither gauge works even when freshwater pump is activated)

The door should be an easy repair, the rollers are replaceable. Do you have actual gauges or is it just a series of lights that show tank levels?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Needle gauges

I can't find another boat with those on it, could you get me a name off them or something and I will try to find some service literature.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Not at boat. Will answer later.

Okay, if you can get behind the gauges there should be a control box for them, any ID on that would be helpful.