Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

6 hp Nissan 4 stroke, engine starts with choke and runs for…

Customer Question
6 hp Nissan 4...

6 hp Nissan 4 stroke, engine starts with choke and runs for about 5 to 10 seconds, then quits. I removed carb and cleaned jets. Jets were clean and open to begin with so I do not think it's a carb issue. Engine seems not to be getting fuel. When I had the carb apart the float looked fine and moved with ease.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Gas tank has fresh non-ethanol gas with sta -bil.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
5/28/2018
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

Have you checked the fuel pump?

What is the model number of the engine?

Joe:It's raining like crazy and the inflatable (with engine) is out on the davits so I can't see the engine number. It's an early 2000's Nissan 6 hp 4-stroke. Ran fine back in October 2017 when I winterized it. Have not checked fuel pump. I'll be installing a new fuel filter after the rain stops. How do I test the fuel pump? From gas tank to fuel filter everything is fine. Carb seems to get fuel but again engine only runs for 5 to 10 seconds on full choke. Throttle has no effect.
Joe: Replaced fuel filter, fuel pump working just fine. Seems like float not allowing fuel to fill carb

Ok so you are getting fuel to the carb and supply is then ok, this leaves the carb as the problem. A float usually does not change adjustment on its own so what can happen is certain floats can fill with fuel but if not that not related this means you are going to need to fully tear the carb down and rebuild, using a carb soaking solution to dip it in (not cans of cleaner), then rebuild with a full rebuild kit. In some cases if the carb is damaged it may need to be replaced instead.

It's fairly simple to check float by removing the bowl, one way should allow fuel and other stop fuel.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Thanks for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!