Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

95 Bayliner 2050 LS 5.0L MPI My boat starts up and runs for…

Customer Question
39;95 Bayliner 2050 LS 5.0L...
39;95 Bayliner 2050 LS 5.0L MPI
My boat starts up and runs for around a minute then dies. When I turn the key to restart the motor nothing happens. I wait for 5 minutes and then it starts back up again and kills. This continues to occur. I replaced the ignition switch to no avail. What is wrong?
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 4 days by:
6/1/2018
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 17 days ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
sir

So when it won't start, will it crank over or does it mot even do that?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Doesn't even crank over

First, remove the large round plug at the engine with all the wires going into it. Make sure the terminals are clean and no sign of corrosion or overheat.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
specifically what is the round plug with all the wire going into it called?

It is the main harness plug. It should be mounted on the starboard rear portion of the engine and has a hose clamp on it to keep it dry. Loosen the clamp and pull it loose. There are 9-10 pins in there that basically connect all the engine functions to the rest of the boat.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I'll take a peek tomorrow if that is not it any other thoughts?

Well, you are having a power loss to the engine starter and apparently the engine control module or fuel pump (to stall it). All that power goes through that plug so I'd go there first. What kind of shape is the battery in? Terminals clean?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Battery remove and stored at 50 degrees during winter months. New last year and everything is clean and tight. Thanks I will pursue your suggestion

Great, you can always come back to this thread with further questions, even after I am rated. Have a good evening.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast