Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Question about key switch and trim. When key is turned, only…

Customer Question
Question about key switch...

Question about key switch and trim

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

When key is turned, only a faint beep sound. Also no activity on gauges. Trim does not work on throttle or at switch on outboard. When pressing trim switch on outboard, you can hear clicking noise only. Battery has 12.9 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Added a house battery....previously all wiring was on one battery. Separated bilge, livewell, and accessories switches to house battery.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Boat
5/27/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 25 days ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** mam I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. Which engine are you asking about specifically?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Suzuki 140df 2006 I believe. Everything worked fine prior to moving bilge live well and acc switches to house battery. I am wonerding if something was tied in to one of these switches that controls trim and key switch

On Suzuki's you should have a white wire with a fuse on it that connects directly to the positive battery terminal. Do you have any white wires laying around near the battery?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Batteries are in the middle of the boat. Starting battery leads connect to positive and negative power posts at the stearn. Engine leads connect to these power posts. I have 12.9 volts at power post. I will check for white wire at the positive power post.

Are you near the boat now to check?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
found fused wire also attached to power post ....15 amp fuse inside is good.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Was attached to positive power post

Okay got it. At this point we need to check for power at the key switch. Do you have a hand held volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurments?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
key switch is original to boat and wire terminals are enclosed in plastic..so not sure how to measure volts at keyswitch

just pierce the wire. You can use a sewing needle or something similar and just push it through the wire. You want to read the voltage on the white wire at the key switch with both the key off, and the key turned to start. Let me know what you get for a reading.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
12.83 volts off....12.75 volts at on ......12.75 volts at start
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Trim switch at throttle and outboard are also not working....not sure if related

Got it. Now lets do the same thing on the green wire at the key switch.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Have 2 green wires at key switch....both read few almost 0 at off and 12.5 v when switch turned to on.

How about when you turn it to start?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Same....12.5v.....but now Reading 12.4

Okay that's fine. Do you have an standard automotive jumper cable?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No....not with me

How about some sandpaper?

Go to the main starting battery. Disocnnect the ground cable. Sand down the cable end until everything is clean and shiny. Clean up the negative terminal itself. The go to the engine and disconnect the ground cable there and do the same thing. Let me know if that helps or not.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
are you thinking corrosion blocking current from getting to starter motor?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
When key switch turned to on...no beep and only fuel gauge activates

Well you've got good power on the power side of things, so the next thing to look at is the ground side of things. If you had a jumper cable I would have just had you jump the engine block directly to the battery and add a ground that way. But without a jumper cable, you have to physically remove and clean up the cable and battery terminal.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have a hand held starter, but not sure where I would attach leads

What do you mean by a hand held starter, do you mean a jump pack with a battery inside of it?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No...it has a positive and negative lead with a push button to start. Had used this on an old carb motor when troubleshooting and needed to start motor.

no, that won't help here. I was just wondering if you had a jumper cable as that is the quickest way to test for a bad ground. Just go through the ground cable with sandpaper and clean it up, and let me know if it makes a difference.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I will clean up ground terminals, but not sure I am confident this is where the problem is.....boat worked fine before I disconnected everything from single battery to dual batteries

Lets see what happens. If nothing happens then I will have you send me pictures of all of the batteries so I can see what the wiring looks like.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok....cleaned grounds.....still no trim, but do get a louder buzzer sound when turning key to on.....but only after waiting a few seconds and shaking the key switch a bit. I do get red check lights on tach now also. Tried turning key switch to on several times, and only get activity after waiting a. Few seconds and wiggling key switch.One other thing...not sure if it matters, but I also added an onboard battery charger which I have the leads on the battery studs first then the engine leads on top of the charger leads....not sure if the engine leads should be on bottom....don't think it matters.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Update.....I keep my emergency stop lanyard in all the time...I pulled out the lanyard clip and pulled the emergency stop button in and out a few times, and now everything appears to work at the helm....beep, gauges, etc. Will try to start motor to see what happens.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Well that didn't work.....went back to boat, and still having trouble with consistent beeping and gauges working...and outboard does not turn.....this is weird...

Can you take pictures of all your batteries for me so I can soo what the wiring looks like?

What is the white wire for on the house battery, where does that go to?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Battery charger lead

I'm looking at your picture closer and I can see that you have the main battery cables stacked on top of smaller accessory wires. Whenever you wire a battery, the main battery cables must go down first, then any accessory wires get stacked on top of the main cables, and not the other way around. Lets try installing those cables the right way on both batteries and see if it makes a difference, You might just be getting a bad connection there because the cables are not stacked right.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Will the charger still charge the battery

Yes of course. But the main battery cables will not have a good connection to the battery if those cables are not the first ones down.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Your right......good point...what about the house battery.....should the charger leads be on top of the main leads to the console?

Yes. On any battery the mains always go down first.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Put mains down first.....no change to problems.....what are we missing? Bad key switch or safety switch?

what do you get for voltage out of the brown wire on the key switch with the key turned to start?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
3.9 - 4 volts

Okay so you get just 4 volts out on that brown wire? Are you still getting a solid 12V+ in on that white wire, or has that changed since you moved the battery cables around?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Will check the white wire.....what is the brown wire for?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
only 4 volts out of brown wire

Did the white wire also drop to 4, or is that still 12?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
White wire drops to around 4 volts when key turned to run or start

OKay, lets check it at the battery next. What is the voltage at the battery with the key held to start? Is that holding at 12+ or does that drop as well?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Battery holds 12 volts

Okay, what's the voltage read at the starter solenoid with the key held to start?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where do I find starter selenoid?

At this point i'm going to opt out. You have corrosion someplace in either the cables or the main wiring harness and it could take another hour to find it, or it could take 3 hours. I simply don't have that kind of time to stick with you on a sunday evening. If one of the other guys wants to pick this up they will. good luick.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
One other thing....there was a yellow wire tied in with the positive wires prior to me adding the house battery. I kept that yellow wire grouped with the red lead to the helm from the starter battery....I guess this would not play into this issue?Regardless, thank you very much for trying to help. I appreciate your help...