Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I need new batteries for my volvo penta 5.7 GXi boat motor.

Customer Question
I need new batteries...

I need new batteries for my volvo penta 5.7 GXi boat motor . what is the bbest batteries for that engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I just need new batteries for this boat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

The manual said it needs a starter battery & a house battery

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
5/26/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Does this boat already have batteries in it, or are there no batteries in it?

The manual said I need a starter battery & a house battery

Which manual is this? The owners manual for the engine itself. Or a manual for the boat? Did you see my previous response? Does the boat already have batteries in it or are there no batteries currently in the boat?

Okay so does the boat currently have batteries in it or no?

Here is the reason I ask. The 2 most common sizes for boat batteries are group size 27 and group size 31. The engine requires a 27 or better, and a group size 27 will be just fine for the engine. You could use a group size 31 if you wanted to, and that would certainly give you some extra juice and some extra run time when running things like a radio when the engine is off. However, the batteries are physically different sizes. Boats also require battery boxes for the batteries to be installed into. If you already have group size 27 battery boxes, then you would not be able to use a group size 31 unless you also change those boxes, and vice versa. That is why I had asked if the boat already had batteries in it. Does that all make sense?

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

It looks like you read my response and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back with questions, or simply taking a minute to thank me for my time. Was there something else, or did you need to check on something and get back to me at a later date?

Hello, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Top service from expert

Thank you, ***** ***** let the moderators know you had trouble with the ratings system. Happy boating! -Jason