Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

It only goes in reverse and in circles, Took the boat for a…

Customer Question
It only goes in...

It only goes in reverse and in circles

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Took the boat for a test run and when put in forward it only goes in reverse

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Boat
5/26/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 27 days ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What is the make and model of your engine?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Cobra 4.3
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Do I pay more?

Ok, I do not work on these engines or drives. I will opt out and one of the other guys will come along and take your question.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok thanks
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 27 days ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

At the back of the motor is a bracket where the shift cable from control activates the shift cable to the drive. With a friend moving the shift lever does the cable move at the bracket in both directions forward and backward?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hi so yes it moves back and forth

Ok does the prop stay locked in all positions? Spin the prop by hand.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What do you mean by locked?

The prop will not spin freely. It should spin freely in neutral.

Lock in forward and reverse in one direction and ratchet in the other.

So put in forward and spin prop both directions. Does lock one way and ratchet in the other. Same test for reverse.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok forward moves right and then spins left but makes a clicking sound
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Reverse it doesn’t spin at all

What about neutral?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Spins freely in neutral

According to those movements, the drive is shifting correctly.

Have you had the boat in the water?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Yesterday we took it to “test” our first time and it would only go in reverse
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Even when he put in forward he said it went in reverse
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok. Before I do that I will say that the guy we bought it from said he replaced that last year and hadn’t driven it since. We wondered if maybe he did t wrong
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I will try this now

Which cable you have 2 for the drive. One from control and one to the drive?

Correct.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok then try the prop thing again in reverse and forward?

Yes and how easily it moves.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Reverse and forward are both easy to move in both directions as well as neutral
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Still there?

Ok that means the drive is good. Now with everything reconnected does it still shift the same . For, neu and rev.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Neutral still spins good and reverse still does nothing
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Locked in reverse

I would say the cable is not adjusted correctly. The adjustments are more towards reverse than forward. When you were in the water did you have neutral? Did the drive make any noise when you had it in forward?

I don't see how the drive can go into reverse when shifting to forward if you have neutral and the shift works properly going through the procedure.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also the throttle button is loose and doesn’t work we can just move without pushing it. Does that matter?

Ok that could be the problem the control is worn badly and not shifting correctly consistently.

I think what we need to do is put the boat in the water and do all the test we just did with the engine running. Now, all we want to do is watch the function of the cables while operating the control. If everything moves right then we have a control that is being intermittent.

What is the make and model of the control?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What exactly is the control

The shifter. Remote control throttle and shift.

Let's verify we don't have a drive issue before we start messing with the remote control.

It doesn't make sense that everything works like it should testing. So the only difference is we aren't in the water under a load.

Can you do these checks and post back. I have to step out for a couple of hours but will be back.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
In water?

Take the boat to the water we have to verify the drive is not the issue. Shift the drive with the bottom cable off if it doesn't shift with remote control. You will have to shut engine off to get it out of gear. We just want to verify it goes into gear. For, neu rev.