Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
99497409

I have a 2005 seadoo GTI. It has the 787 two stroke engine.

I have a 2005 seadoo GTI. It has the 787 two stroke engine. It has a few problems. First and foremost, it has a bad rattling sound coming from the bottom/front part of the engine. What could that be? It’s quiet noticeable.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I just bought this ski. I noticed that they have disconnected the oil injection tank and are premixing the gas and oil. Is this a problem? I do notice that the oil light stays on. How can I correct that?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Does the rattling come from the engine when the boat is in the water or only on land?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Really loud when on land. Thought it may be the impeller. So I pulled the entire outdrive off. Nothing but the shaft there now. Still makes the noise.

You need to see if the person that stopped mixing the oil either ran a hose from the intake to the outlet on the pump, or removed the pump. If they just drained out the oil then the pump may be coming apart. See the picture.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That would make a lot of sense. Ok so what parts or kit would I need to repair it? And should I hook the oil tank back up? Also the oil light stays on. And if you rev the engine , it dies.

Well, you can either do an oil pump delete (kits available from aftermarket companies). Or you will likely have to replace the oil pump and drive, all the hoses, reset the linkages, etc. If you're gonna do that get a manual so you can do the adjustments and make sure it is pumping oil before you stop mixing. Get that straight first before you go after the stalling at high rpms, which could be a clogged fuel filter or line.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was figuring it has something to do with that oil light being on. Didn’t know if it had some kind of safety. Or if the last owner mixed too much oil, maybe it is stopped up. It smoked a lot when it’s cranked. I think I’ll drain the gas too.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do I need to pull the engine to do all of this? Or can it be done in the ski?

Yeah, that would also cause it to starve for fuel. But DO NOT run it on straight gas until you are absolutely sure it is pumping oil. Run a 50 to 1 mix and you should be okay.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With a delete kit, will that oil light continue to stay on? And can I make these repairs in the ski? Or pull the engine?

Yes, the oil light is on a sensor, you can unplug that though, it should be on the oil tank itself. You can do it in the ski.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok ty. Any sights you prefer to use for parts? Like the delete kit?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
a manual?

Shopsbt.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you for all you expertise. Most helpful.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh, just out of curiosity , will other engines from other seadoo models for my gti?

They will virtually all fit, but newer ones may not have the proper electrical system in the hull to support them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thanks again.