Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2002 optimax 175 and I'm trying to change out the…

Customer Question
Hello, I have...

Hello, I have a 2002 optimax 175 and I'm trying to change out the midsection with a shorter 20' midsection from a 1995 outboard. the problem I'm having is what to do with the excess that air produced by the optimax air compressor. On the optimax midsection the air goes thru the midsection and exits by the prop, the 1995 midsection does not have that provision, Can I drill hole in the 1995 midsection fro the air to go thru?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
5/25/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What do you mean by the optimax midsection the hair goes thru the midselction? Can you send me pictures of everything? Better yet, can you send me the serial number on your engine, and then do you have the serial number on the engine that this other midsection came from? If I can get the serial numbers on both engines then I will not need pictures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my name is Richard, sorry about the typo it should be " the air goes thru the midsection" I do not have pictures or serial number at this time, basically what im asking is will a 1995 non-optimax midsection work on a 2002 optimax power head.

Hi Richard. Everything Mercury is cataloged by serial number, and nothing is cataloged by year. Without the serial numbers on both engines I simply can not look this up. That being said, there are no time limits here, so if you want to get back to me later on with those serial numbers that is fine. If the numbers are not available at all, then we can close this out and you can contact customer service for a refund on your deposit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here are the pictures of the Derick numbers and the water and air ports on the Optimax and no water or air ports in the 1995 midsection
BF06702D-F797-4323-957B...jpegBF0670...jpeg105EBD06-4DD5-440A-85C0...jpeg105EBD...jpegB6A278C7-E1B8-438C-BFBD...jpegB6A278...jpeg15797720-9AAF-4D39-8371...jpeg157977...jpeg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Serial numbers. Not Derick

Okay let me look this up.

Okay got it. Everything looks to be the same between the 2 except for the exhaust extension tube, which is different. That being said, what do you mean by the air goes through the midsection and exits the prop? Which air are you talking about?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m talking about the excess air from the air compressor after it pressureises the fuel. The air dumps into the empty port in this picture and then goes down the midsection and exits by the prop. The older midsection does not have this passageway. Can I drill the older midsection to proved this passageway
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Provide

The air doesn't compress the fuel. The air goes into the fuel rail, where it is injected into the cylinders via 6 air injectors. I believe that hose you are looking at is for the sea strainer. Can you pull that hose off and that fitting out, and see if that's the sea strainer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Look at item “r”. Air return to exhaust plate. The air goes in to the exhaust plate then into a port under the exhaust plate and down the midsection to exit by the prop. In the older midsection the port under the exhaust plate is not open for the air to travel down the midsection. Can I open that port up.

I simply don't know. I have never done what you are looking to do, and I do not want to tell you the wrong thing. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community.

Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** you still require assistance with the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do

Ok, is there anything wrong with the adapter plate from the opti?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The adapter plate from the Optimax is fine and I’m using that on the older midsection.

You should be able to just bolt it to the mid housing for the older engine. The air just dumps into the exhaust chamber there.