Boat

I have a Volvo 8.1 recently new (2 yr old) that is

Customer Question
overheating-- I replaced the sea...
overheating-- I replaced the sea water pump- ran water thru the top of the heat exchanger and discharge out the bottom seemingly freely, Still overheats=- to the serpintine belt of the coolant water pump and spun it around by hand - no strange noises- How can I determine if both pumps are working and any solution or advice of thing to look at?... Read full answer
I have a Volvo 8.1 recently new (2 yr old) that is overheating-- I replaced the sea water pump- ran water thru the top of the heat exchanger and discharge out the bottom seemingly freely, Still overheats=- to the serpintine belt of the coolant water pump and spun it around by hand - no strange noises- How can I determine if both pumps are working and any solution or advice of thing to look at?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
5/24/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I have a bunch more questions do you because I need some more background info here.

1. Do you happen to have the full and complete model number on the engine, as it reads on the sticker on the engine?

2. Is this boat an inboard with transmission, and a through hull water pickup? Or is it a sterndrive, where the sterndrive is the water pickup?

3. is the boat in the water, or are you running the boat in on a trailer with a garden hose flusher hooked up to it?

4. How hot is it getting? Does the overheating happen at all RPMS, or only certain RPMS, or are you not sure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can yo call(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a 8.1 OSI-B Engine 425 hp - The boat is a Formula 37 ft PC Twins sterndrive OceanSeris X- It is on a lift so its obviously down in the water- Engine was acting strange for the last year- it is a new Volvo Penta 2 yr old Sometimes when I would star to take it out the temp would rise quickly (above 180 ) and I could shut it down then start it again and it would cool down immeadiatly to normal running and it would be fine the rest of the day -- NOW this week it just started to totally overheat to alarm and the previous procedure does not work-it keeps getting hotter--I replaced the raw water impeller and seals today and took the covers off the heat exchanger and ran a hose at pressure thru it-seems to flow ok-- Could it be the coolant pump? They are and impeller so usually only tthe bearing go bad ? How can I determine it its working?Increasing RPMs does not helpSomething has got to be not flowing- either sea water or coolant? BTW the thermostat is out of both engines and they run around 150 degAre you there????
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Carlos here again. So I was out with the family all was
Hi Jason. Carlos here again. So I was out with the family all was good. Then I noticed the temp was up to about 225. I slowed down and check the motor noticed the belt had snapped I continue slowly to… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 3116 300 HP temperature at thermostat getting up to
I have a 3116 300 HP temperature at thermostat getting up to 220 replaced thermostat and still there took it out ran the engine and it is running at 110 at thermostat. Any suggestions we are at a lost… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
I have twin Volvo Penta 8.1 Gil-F engines in a V-drive configuration.
I have twin Volvo Penta 8.1 Gil-F engines in a V-drive configuration. My port engine runs hot when in idle. If I am running at speed or if I have at least 1500 RPM it cools fine. I have changed the im… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a engine overheating problem.Mercruiser 2000 model 5.7
I have a engine overheating problem.Mercruiser 2000 model 5.7 inboard. the heat exchanger is a seakemp model 78094.I did notice when i took the ends off heat exchanger and added fresh water it appeare… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Hi there, I own a 9m powercat in NZ powered by 2 x 200hp
Hi there, I own a 9m powercat in NZ powered by 2 x 200hp TAMD41 Volvos which have done around 3500 hours. We had the starboard engine fully reconditioned less than 50 hours ago and since running it in… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Volvo Penta model 2030C 27 HP sailboat engine w/saildrive. Engine
Volvo Penta model 2030C 27 HP sailboat engine w/saildrive. Engine warms up normally but begins to exceed normal temperature above 2000 RPM, more RPM yelds higher temperatures. Sea water pump and impel… read more
boatmechanicma
boatmechanicma
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Westerbeke 30B overheating. Impeller looks good, coolant levels
Westerbeke 30B overheating. Impeller looks good, coolant levels good, cleared sea water intake strainer. Went overboard and cleared intake thruhull. Started engine, still not pumpling water . . . any … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
i have a 1999 7.4 mpi horizon v drive. this engine is fresh
i have a 1999 7.4 mpi horizon v drive. this engine is fresh water cooled. after engine warms up the raw water side starves for water as if there is a blockage or raw water pump problem. it pumps enoug… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
YANMAR 3ym30 overheats after 10mins. at 3,000rpm . Seawater
YANMAR 3ym30 overheats after 10mins. at 3,000rpm . Seawater cooling all cleared/replaced including heat exchanger core. Any ideas?… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
we have a 855 in one of our fishing vessels.it has an overheating
we have a 855 in one of our fishing vessels.it has an overheating problem when the engine is operating above 1400 rpm.i have checked the sea water inlet and it is clear,raw water pump is in good condi… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
hi there, 1997 38 carver sant. runs hot like 210 degrees and
hi there, 1997 38 carver sant. runs hot like 210 degrees and every part has been changed.454s 650 hours and i am afraid to go far because it will overheat.… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
i have a volvo penta aq125a im having overheating problems
i have a volvo penta aq125a im having overheating problems the seawater pump is cold on both tubes the circulating pump is turning but the exahust manifold is very hot is there to check this for being… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Stop searching for answers—
I have a volvo D1-20 engine with leg. When the boat sits on
I have a volvo D1-20 engine with leg. When the boat sits on the bottom and then floats again, the engine stops. No sea water flows through the system. How can I get the engine to work again, ie sea wa… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Volvo Penta 2002, fresh water cooled. Engine overheating.
Volvo Penta 2002, fresh water cooled. Engine overheating. Pumping sea water perfectly, thermostat OK but coolant will not drain from drain plug bottom of engine, where there appears to be some sedimen… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
Hi there , I have just bought a yacht thhtat has sat around
Hi there , I have just bought a yacht thhtat has sat around a long time 9 years in fact and the engine has done only a remerkable 265 hours. The motor a 2003 type 3 cyl sail drive unit recently suffer… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Have two volvo d6 engines, both running fine up to 1500 rpm,
Have two volvo d6 engines, both running fine up to 1500 rpm, but thereafter the starboard engines is overheaarting and the larm kicks in. What could be the problem ? Please advice cost and currency ch… read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
boat engine over heated , so replaced impeller at front of
boat engine over heated , so replaced impeller at front of engine , i launched the boat and the engine ran hot again , what could be the problem . larry… read more
Jason Forsberg
Jason Forsberg
Outboard Marine Mechanic,
Volvo 5.0GXI, 270 Horsepower Starboard side engine in a ...
Volvo 5.0GXI, 270 Horsepower Starboard side engine in a 27'' Formula PC, with Volvo DP-1.95 Outdrives, Starboard side engine overheats. Already replaced thermostat and inpeller (sp). Still overheating… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School