Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

9.9, Ran it 5 minutes w/o hardly any oil (by mistake, of

9.9 , Ran it 5 minutes w/o hardly any oil (by mistake, of course), the red light was on, the motor ran rough, then shut down, and wouldn't restart, charged the battery, filled w/oil, but it just clicks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It's a merc pro-kick, 5 yrs old, 4 stroke

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, do you happen to have that number handy so I can look it up?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Afraid I don't have it here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no Im at work 20 miles from the motor (which is on the lake)

Hmmm... Serial number aside I don't see any kinds of question either. Obviously there is a 50/50 chance the engine is seized up. Did you try taking the plugs out and turning it over by hand?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, on the plugs, how do I turn it by hand?

J​ust pull the spark plugs out, then turn the flywheel by hand, or if it has a rope on it, pull the rope.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried the rope, and it wouldn't move, the prop moves pretty easily in forward, but won't move in reverse gear

Could you get it to budge at all with the rope?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not at all

T​hat's not really a good sign, as you should be able to pull it over, the only thing left to do would be to pull the spark plugs out, throw a wrench on the flywheel, and try and turn it. If it doesn't turn, it's seized up. Did you have any futher or more specific questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
why does the spark plugs affect the turning, and what about EGSystem, does it lock it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
should I spray penetrating oil in the plug holes?

W​hen the spark plugs are in there is engine compression, when you take the plugs out there is no compression. What do you mean exactly by EGS system? I have never heard of that term before

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Engine Guardian System, lowers the rpm when engine is overheating, or low compression.....thought maybe it is locking the engine, have heard where a sensor has to be reset

The guardian system is just electronics, it doesn't do anything to mechanically lock the engine. There is no sensor to be reset. odds are here that this engine is seized up. Do you want to get back to me later when you are actually near the motor and have that serial number so we can test it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it may be another day, I to get it out of the lake to work on it, and I'm working...I'll ask for you?

Y​ou would just reply right back here, and your messages will come straight to me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK

Okay catch you later.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
between what hours can you talk on the phone?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
between what hours can you talk on the phone? My name is Steve

Hi Steve. I'm available now. I typically sign off for the night around 7 PM EST

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm still working, and still have to get the boat off the lake, had to fix my trolling motor first, it'll probably be tomorrow around 6 EST,

I​ should be around then. Just reply back around that time and we can set up a call.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm back, the model is 1F10452EK, serial is 0R403012. I think it needs a pro repair. When I turn the prop in forward, it clicks kind of loud. still haven't gotten it to turn, although i haven't had the time to get to the flywheel.

Its' normal to hear the clicking when you spin the prop. That is the clutch rattling around in the lower unit. You know what needs to be done, with the turning of the flywheel. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can the prop turn in gear, when it's locked up?

Are you turning that prop clockwise or counter clockwise?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Clockwise, it turns (w/trottle in forward) when going counter clockwise it won't turn

Got it. It's normal. The clutch in the lower unit is a 1 way ratcheting dog style clutch. The clutch will ratchet in 1 direction, and lock on the opposite direction. Click this link for a video, it works just like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpQpAXu4wOg

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thanks much, I will try the wrench on the flywheel, if it doesn't work, take to the marina for work.

There is a lockout on the recoil starter assembly (the rope start mechanism). That lockout prevents the engine from turning over while in gear. When you go to turn the flywheel by hand, make sure you remove the recoil starter assembly first, that way the lockout is not in place.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The rope mechanism is in the cover to the flywheel, which I have to remove to get at the flywheel, so it's not in play then, right?

Correct. Once you remove the rope start mechanism as a whole, that takes the lockout mechanism out of the loop.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, nice meeting ya, thanks again

You are very welcome!