Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I took my 1986 donzi with a cobra 4.3. It ran great all day.

Customer Question
Okay so I took my...
Okay so I took my 1986 donzi with a cobra 4.3. It ran great all day. I had this mobile marine mechanic come out and hook up a bulge pump after he left I thought everything was good. Once I backed the boat up it was fine. Went and put it In drive and it slammed into gear and rocked the whole boat I was little puzzled. Then I took it out on the water and shut it off to do some fishing when I was done it stated right up but when I went to put it in drive it went in reverse. When I put it in reverse it went into reverse. I was like oh no. So I shut it off and went to restart it and it cranked one or two times and then it seemed like the battery’s were now dead and very slow cranking then nothing just one click each time I went to start the boat. What could this be ?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
5/3/2018
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Unfortunately the symptoms you describe sound as if your outdrive may have failed internally. There is a direct connection between the drive and the engine so if the drive fails it can seize the engine up. First pull the drive oil plug and look for metal. If it is there, you are going to have to have the drive gone over or replaced.

Just did that and no metal

Can you shift the drive in and out of gear? Spin the propeller in both directions?

I haven’t tried that yet

Let me know what you find trying that.