Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Engine wont start ran fine last season had a service. Now…

Customer Question
Engine wont start ran...

Engine wont start ran fine last season had a service

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Now wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

It fires a little but wont run

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
Fuel pump is working
Engine tryes to start but but wont run and there was a big misfire aswell
4/3/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What engine are you asking about specifically?

Volvo penta 5.7 gi petrol
Simon
It is a volvo penta 5.7 gi 2003

H​I Simon. "Gi" is not a model number, it is a family of engines. There are 40+ different engines all called a "Gi". There is going to be anywhere from 1 extra letter to 8 extra letters after the Gi, that would be the number I would need. Alternatively, if you can get the serial number off of the motor I can cross reference serial number to model number that way as well.

Hi its 5.7 gi-d(###) ###-####

Gi-D, got it. you said it ran last season, is that correct? How old is the fuel in the tank? Is it all brand new, is it old, is it a mix of new and old? Have you tried any starting fluid to see if the engine would start and run on starting fluid?

Hi no not tried starting fluid
The fuel was put in last September
has been running fine last September
Then it was ashore over the winter and tyred it last week and does not start

Trying some starting fluid would be step 1. The other option is to get a portable fuel tank, fill that with brand new fuel, change the fuel filters on the engine, and then try starting it on the portable tank and new filters. Is that something you can do?

Hi yes I will be going down the weekend and try that if it does not work can i contact you again or do i have to pay more

Oh there are no time limits here. You just reply right back here like you have been until we get your problem sorted out. Let me know how you make out either way. If the engine does run after the filter change and running on the portable fuel tank then obviously the problem is going to be bad gas. If that does end up being the problem, please do not forget to come back and leave me a 5 star rating for my service. If that ends up not being the problem, we can take this as deep as you are comfortable with.

Many thanks if I change the fuel filter and run of a separate tank what about the old fuel past the fuel filter does this need draining some how I mean like the fuel pump and fuel hoses

T​he old fuel will purge itself out. Often times it's easier to set up the portable tank, then spray starting fluid down the carb while a helper cranks the engine over at the same time. If you can keep it running on the starting fluid, it will eventually purge out any old fuel between the filter and carb.

Hi it is fuel injection can i still spray starter fluid

O​ops, sorry about that. yes it is throttle body injected. (The throttle body looks like a carburetor). Just spray the starting fluid down the throttle body and see what happens.

Hi I have tried fresh fuel today no change I have had it running and was running great but now nothing again just doing the same thing spark is fine could it be the fuel pump

G​ood morning. Did you try shooting starting fluid down the throttle body or did you not do that?

HI There yes I tyred that but did not make a difference

If that didn't make a difference then chances are there is no spark. Do you have a timing light in order to check for spark output?

Hi there no but I pulled all the plugs and all were sparking well

How did you check for spark, did you ground the end of the spark plugs to the engine block?

G​ot it. That isn't the correct way to check for spark. If you have either a weak ignition coil or a low voltage to the coil, the spark plugs will spark when grounded, but they will not spark when actually installed into the engine block. The engine needs 3 things to run, it needs compression, timed spark ignition, and fuel. Starting fluid is a fuel, and because the engine did not start on that, then you are either missing spark or missing compression. In the shop we would check for spark output first and then do a compression test 2nd. (It's faster to do it in that order). Can you get your hands on a timing light so we can check and see if the engine has proper spark or not.

Hi yes I can buy 1 but unsure how to use it

T​here should be instructions that come with it. If there are no instructions that come with it just let me know which timing light you purchased, and I will figure it out and let you know how it works.

Ok that's fine I will give that a try

O​kay just let me know when you have one, and we will take it from there.

Hey there. I never heard back from you. How did you make out?