Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

What the life expectancy for a Honda 150 four stroke in

What the life expectancy...

What the life expectancy for a Honda 150 four stroke in hours?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I'm looking to buy a used Hewescraft Sea Runner, but I'm concerned about how many hours are on the twin 150s?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

It's a 2006 and he reported 1500 hours of use . . . does that mean they're about done?

4/3/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Marine engines will meet their demise in one of 3 ways.

1. They wear out from wear and tear.

2. They rot out from saltwater exposure.

3. They have a problem with low oil pressure or engine overheating, and the mechanical damage that follows wipes them out.

That being said. In terms of rot, the engine will last near forever in freshwater. In saltwater, their life all depends on how the previous owner takes care of it, and how often they flush with fresh water. If the owner never flushes the engine, you would be looking at 8 to 10 year life span, regardless of the actual hours.

In terms of wear and tear, in a commercial application, well taken care of engines can run 2500 to 3000 hours before they are worn out.

Then of course even a brand new engine can have an oil pressure or temperature problem and be wiped out at any time.

You would want to have the engines inspected before making an offer on them. The key things you would want to have checked are engine compression, have it looked at for corrosion, have it hooked up to HDS, which stands for Honda Diagnostic Systems, which is their scan tool. On the compression side of things. When the engine was new, a compression reading would come in at the 190 to 210 PSI ballpark. As the engine wears and tears that number will go down. 120 PSI is the lower limit. Anything below that and there is no guarantees of if the engine will make full power or run correctly. A used but healthy engine will have roughly 140 to 160 PSI of compression. On the engine scan, the engines computer keeps track of how many hours are on the engine, as well as how many times it may have overheated or ran low on oil. When these situations happen, the computer will flag a code and it will be permanent, and non-erasable. For example, if the engine overheated 10 times in it's life, the computer scan will tell you that, as well as the number of hours that were on the engine when it overheated. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thanks this helps a lot . . . I'll ask to have it inspected. Good call.Shawn

Y​ou are very welcome Shawn, glad to help. Please do not forget to leave a rating for my service. Thanks again and good luck! -Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic