Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a 115 mariner with tilt and trim 3 ram type. The motor…

Have a 115 mariner...

Have a 115 mariner with tilt and trim 3 ram type. The motor has run down and up alright, but at full up it is just will not come back down. I have manually release the fluid and still it has not come back down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

The only number I can see is 99659a45 and that is on the pump motor itself . Think the motor is 89 model Mariner 4cyld

4/3/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Will it come down at all if you grab it and hang from it? Is there any chance the trailering latch is flipped down?

no the motor will not come down at all. I have let all fluid out. The latch is not set at the top to hold the motor in full up. Its like somehow the up cylinder is blocked or completely closed off. Tommy is my name

Hi Tommy. This may or may not do anything. But on the side of the pivot tube portion of the outboard there are 2 large nuts (this is where the steering cable goes through) Try loosening up those nuts a little bit, and see if the outboard will drop down. Let me know what happens.

Hey man tried it. Loosened both sides hung on the motor. Nothing. I don't get it without any fluid at all.

I​t was a 50/50 chance of it doing something. Sometimes when they will not come down it is because there is corrosion in that pivot tube that the outboard pivots on. Realistically speaking at this point this isn't anything I can really help you with, as you would simply need a new or used trim unit. Outside of replacing the electric motors and re-sealing them, when they have some sort of internal malfunction the units are not repairable, they are replace only.

Thanks

You are very welcome. Good luck!

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic