Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My idler jet is leaking gas on my while it’s idling-force 85…

Customer Question
My idler jet is...

My idler jet is leaking gas on my carburetor while it’s idling-force 85 hp

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

While idling gas leaks out of idling jet ( vent ) kinda bad and bogs down unless I feather the gas,got the carburetor out right now and looks pretty clean,so not sure if I get a part,going to clean it out and re-install,thought I would talk to Gus 1st

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

You guys*

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
4/3/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you know the serial number on the engine?

Found this # on intake manifold 498167 and got this# ***** carburetor WE 18-2 632061-1
Hi charles

The one I need is on the right side of the swivel tube.

Or if you know the year of the engine, that will also work.

Found this# ***** the block #L873342
Ok found this,model#856X7B SN# *****
1987 I think

This should be your carb in the link I sent.

What you will need to go is to remove the bowl on the carb, then look at how the float is moving the needle. Make sure that the needle is freely moving up and down. Also make sure that there is no fuel in the float.

that is my carb.and yes needle moves freely
Nothing in the float now

Was there something in the float?

Didn’t notice anything leaking from the float - looks good
No ,when I pulled the bowl there was gas,that was it

Ok, to get gas from the vent, the bowl will be flooding. Can you remove the pin holding the float and take the needle out to inspect the tip of it?

it should look like this one.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/merc/M-F10234.html

Haven’t done that yet,on it as we speak

Great. If you could post a pic of it here, I can take a look at it.