Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Won't start. Cranks but no start. It did start yesterday.

Customer Question
Won't start. Cranks but...

Won't start. Cranks but no start. It did start yesterday. Ran a minute, I shut off. Now won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Had old gas in tank. Drained- put in 10 gallons of 93 octane. It's a Mercury F25 ELPT

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

I pulled off fuel filter. Blew it out. Have to check if I have fuel pressure.?

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 26 days ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number, not model number. Do you have that serial number handy so I can see exactly which version of the 25 you have.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Name is*****#OR247328. The 0 might be a zero?

H​I Frank. Okay got it. I am going to decline the call for now, as this is an EFI engine and we may or may not be able to solve the problem, depending on what the problem actually ends up being. I have a couple of questions back to you.

1. Is the emergency stop switch clip in place?

2. Can you hear the fuel pump kick on each time you turn the key to RUN?

3. Have you tried any starting fluid, to see if it will run on that?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It appears I PAID $26.00 twice. Not good need one if them refunded. Waiting on a phone call
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Where is this emergency stop switch
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Where is the emergency shut off switch on motor ?

Is your motor push button start, with the start button on the outboard itself? Or is it remote start, with a separate key switch?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Remote with key.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It beeps once while turning key. Red light comes on on front of motor

T​he emergency stop switch would be up front by the controls someplace. Depending on the style shifter you have it could be on the shifter ,or it could be on the dashboard. If you can send me a couple of pictures of your shifter and what the dash looks like I will see if I can spot it.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Will not let me send another picture

T​here is actually supposed to be a clip on that switch. But either way, leave that switch in the up position. When it's down, the switch will kill spark.

Back to the next 2 questions;

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Pump in motor or on internal fuel tank. Either way I'm not hearing it. Let me find some either

The fuel pump is on the outboard itself.

Any luck with the starting fluid?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No luck with started fluid. I drained bottom of Carb. Yellow.. old gas with stabilizer...
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I drained all fuel related lines.. yellow Gas. Also when turning on switch with fuel pump disconnected, gas squirts out of line intermittently. Not a constant stream...

This engine is fuel injected, not carbureted. What part are you calling a carb?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Call me please
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That might have been injector fuel pump ?

I'm going to pass on the call. To be honest I don't think we are going to get this running anyways. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure, as well as a timing light to check for spark output?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No Sir I don't.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
If your passing on this call, that's fine. But it appears I
Paid $26 X 2=52.00

Re​alistically speaking there isn't anything else we can do here. You will have to take this one in. You can contact customer service at***@******.*** regarding your deposits.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That's what I thought. Probably Old Gas clogged up fuel system. I did ha e it running yesterday for a minute, then shut off.
Appreciate your time.

yo​u are very welcome. Customer service can take care of those deposits for you. Good luck,

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic