Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

We have a 90hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Battery died and now

We have a 90hp...

We have a 90hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Battery died and now replaced but still not starting from alternator (it will start with a direct charge). The direct charge doesn’t allow the trim to work and we think that maybe the fuse that controls the trim is bad but we can’t find it. Thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We would like to. We generally do the work ourselves.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think so.

3/30/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What is the model number on your Yamaha outboard as it reads on the ID tag?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Hi this is Jennifer. Working with my husband. Where would we find the Id tag

H​I Jennifer. It would be on a sticker on the clamp bracket portion of the outboard. This is where the outboard bolts to the back of the boat. The model number would start with F90 and have some more letters after it.

Okay got it. Now what exactly is the engine doing? Is everything working except for the trim?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Motor will start and run if we direct jump it but not from ignition. And trim is not working.

Have you checked the engine fuses yet?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Should also add that we had a fully dead battery today and just replaced it.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
We checked the two we could find. We aren’t sure where to look.

Where were these fuses that you found, where they on the engine or on the boat?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Engine

Hmm... There are 4 fuses on the engine and they are all right next to eachother. Were these fuses you found under a black plastic cover or were they someplace else? Can you send me a picture of the fuses that you found?

Yep, those are the fuses. Are you positive they were good?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Husband said they look good. Should we pull them out and take a pic?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
is there a fuse between the battery and the motor?

I won't be able to tell by looking at them. You would have to test them with a volt meter. Do you have a volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurements?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
We are unfortunately on vacation and didn’t bring the voltmeter with us. Checking our vrbo. Anything else we can try?

Unfortuantely no, that's it. The power to the key switch and the trim switch comes from those fuses. If you are positive that the fuses are good then you have a broken or burned up wire someplace, and it needs to be found. That can not be done without a voltmeter.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Could it be a bad battery switch?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Trying to find a viltmeter

Could be a number of things, but for now we need to find out of there is power to the fuse holder or not.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Voltmeter on the way. Be back shortly.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Just tested all four fuses and they are good. What’s next

P​op the keyswitch out and see if there is power on the red wire at the key switch.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Switch showing power

O​kay next, turn and hold the key to start, is there any power on the brown wire with the key held to start?

H​ello. Just checking in. I never heard back from you. Did you figure it out?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
We tried figuring out what wasn’t working but didn’t have enough equipment. Took it to the local mechanic this am and it was the battery switch - which is what my husband suspected but couldn’t prove. We do appreciate your help - we now know more about the Boat and the engine than when we started. We’d definitely reach out again if we had trouble. Happy Easter weekend!

G​lad to hear you got it. Happy boating! -Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic