Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a DF6 2004 Suzuki, pumps water only with the grommet…

I have a DF6...

I have a DF6 2004 Suzuki, pumps water only with the grommet off from the shift linkage on the lower drive housing. with the grommet installed water stops pumping out the piss hole in 15 seconds..Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Water stops pumping after lower housing grommet installed

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

New h2o pump, tube guide,upper and lower, new h2o pump seal upper.

3/29/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Have you had the cover off the water pump recently?

How about the middle plate?

all new

Was it doing this before you installed the new pump?

I am not able to get on the phone currently. I will gladly assist you online here.

same problem. Replaced drive housing gasket and gasket under powerhead

Does it do this in the water as well as when running on a flusher?

When you had the water pump off, did you ensure that the grates on the bottom of the lower unit are clear and the passages are open?

all water passages are clear. Exhaust passages are clear.
Running motor in a test tank

Is the driveshaft cover under water when you are testing it?

Its a long shaft, water is up to the for shift linkage grommet. Even lowered water level to lower unit extension. 5inches above h2o pickup

Salt water motor?

No only run in fresh water all its life

When you did the water pump replacement, did you pull up this part and replace the gasket under it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282729815193?vectorid=229466&item=282729815193&rmvSB=true

all gaskets and seals
No water in gear case and no water in crankcase

I feel that this plate and its gaskets is where the issue lies. If it has a crack in it, the it will not draw water from under the plate, but from the mid housing. Or is there is a gasket blocking the water intake, or even some tape on the bottom of the lower unit could also do it.

With the water pump sealed down, there is no where else that it can draw water into it other than thru this plate.

The water pump will need to come off, and then everything rechecked to make sure that the alignment is correct and that all the gaskets have the needed holes in them.

Question, with linkage grommet off it pumps h2o fine. Install grommet after 10 seconds water stops pumping?
Thanks for your time. I will recheck lower gasket and plate. This 4stroke is new to me. Have been a mechanic in marine business trade for 35 years . This stumped me good. Thanks

That is why I feel that either the base has a crack in it, or there is an obstruction getting water to the bottom of the pump.

Your very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else on this engine.

Maybe go back to either eventide. Or mercury
Thanks again

Lol. Suzuki can be a bit tricky to work on sometimes. If you went with Evinrude 4 stroke, they are also made by Suzuki.

How do I sign off

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know

You can simply close the window.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic