Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Power trim on 2004 135 optimax trims down perfect doesnt…

Customer Question
Power trim on 2004...

Power trim on 2004 135 optimax trims down perfect doesnt trim up. It very very very slow/ slugglish on the way up... it has fliud

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Look at my first response

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Just had a 300 hour service done last year

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 24 days ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Does the electric motor portion of the trim sound sluggish or slow, as in it's spinning slower than it should be when you hit trim up?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My name is ***** ***** gou hit the trim up it sounds find but is slow
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
When the motor is trimmed down it Sounds perfect. Trimming up it sounds like its struggleing

Hi​ TC. Okay got that. Essentially you would need to find another trim unit, be it new or used, as the units are not repairable. Did you need any help with part numbers?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Any chance of airlock? I had the end caps replaced...

N​o, no chance of air lock. the units are actually self bleeding. Will the unit actually trim all the way up? Does it go up just part of the way and stop? Or will it go fully up? Are you able to open the manual release screw and lift the outboard up by hand?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It goes up just barely after screwing with it for an hour. I can left the motor up by hand...

O​kay so it's not going all the way up, is that correct? Did you check the fluid level in the reservoir?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
the trim fluid is good...

I​'m going to decline the call. In the shop we simply do not repair these units. If there are leaks we will reseal them, if the electric motor portion of it dies, we will replace the motors. If there are any internal problems. We throw the units in the trash and replace it with a new or used unit. The reason being is they are not cost effective to even bother trying to repair. On top of that, there isn't a heck of a lot of troubleshooting guidance in the service manual. In the manual, they list 4 items for the symptom of slow to trim up. 1. Low oil level (yours is good) 2. Bad oil pump 3. Weak battery 4. Bad electric motor. Now if your outboard had a bad trim motor, or a weak battery or anything else that would cause low voltage to the motor, the motor would trim slowly. But you stated that your trim motor spins fine. If you go by the book, the book would have you change the oil pump portion of the trim unit. The pump runs about 250 bucks give or take (I would need your engine serial number to confirm that). But what I can tell you, is that even though the service manual says to replace the oil pump. There is a 50/50 chance of it actually fixing the problem, and you could throw 250 bucks at it, as well as a few hours of your time, and have it simply not work in the end. That is why in the shop we do not fix them. That being said. What would you like to do? Would you like the part numbers and service procedure on changing the oil pump? Would you like a part number on the trim unit itself, so you can hunt around for a used one? Or do you want to call it quits and just take it to the dealer?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank You
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I wollcget the part local... I’ll switch out motor. I have a commercial account with a local place. Thanks

When you say switch out motor, are you talking about just the electric motor portion of the trim unit, or something else?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Just the trim motor

I​f the trim motor was the problem, the motor itself would spin slowly when you hit trim up. The very first question I had asked you was "Does the electric motor portion of the trim sound sluggish or slow, as in it's spinning slower than it should be when you hit trim up?​" And your reply do that was "the trim up sounds fine but is slow". When the electric motors are a problem, they will spin slowly. If there is a voltage problem to the motor, they will spin slow. Is that motor spinning slowly, or does it sound like its spinning quickly, or are you just not sure?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Not sure

Are you near the boat now to double check? Do you happen to have the serial number on your outboard handy?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have 3 battery bank oto starting and a house with ACR relays ... Vatterys are good

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
At my home office

T​here are no time limits here, do you want to get back to me later on once you have had another chance to look at it, and get the serial number off the outboard?

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic