Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Minn Korea 80 ultrex with i_pilot link. Work great for a…

Customer Question
Minn Korea 80 ultrex...

Minn Korea 80 ultrex with i_pilot link. Work great for a couple of months. Now the spotlock holds for only a few minutes at most 15

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The spotlock searches a lot when it finally locks on its not for more than 15 minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No only having trouble with the spotlock

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
3/27/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you have the antenna for the GPS in the Ultrex connected?

Do you know what the GPS signal strength is when the motor will not hold position?

Have you tested the batteries with a hand held meter?

Battery fully charged Antenna in the ultrex I don’t know New boat dealer installed Don’t know the GPS signal strength

Is this linked to a depth finder?

hummingbird helix d I
Hummingbird Helix 10 DI

Thanks. I was in the manuals for this.

Is there anything metallic close to the motor?

Is the remote fully charged, this will also affect the operation of the motor.

remote fully charged. It's a aluminum boat

Can you deploy the motor then see what the GPS strength you get from where you are?

Not now. At work

Ok, That would be good to know.

Also if the shop indexed the motor properly. This could also lead to the Spot lock not functioning right.

Or anything that may be bumping the foot pedal when it is in operation.

Do you have the manual for the motor?

Is that to all 3 questions, or just one of them?

to the manual no there's nothing bumping don't know about the indexing The spotlock work great for the first two months

I would really take a look at the batteries, not just rely on a charger indicator. Having them load tested is the best way to determine if they are holding a good charge over time. If one is dumping faster than the other, the overall voltage to the motor will fall off and this can cause the spot lock to disengage.

on page 13 is the start to the indexing of the motor. It may be also worth the time to do this yourself so that you know that it was done.

Ok I can do that easy to check the batteries will also go to page 13 to make sure on the indexing of the motor

Sounds good. Let me know what you see and we can go from there.

Thanks I’ve got a starting point

OK. Just let me know if there is anything else that I may assist you with on this.