Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2008 Mercury marine. 250 verado. This unit while…

Hello I have a 2008...
Hello I have a 2008 Mercury marine. 250 verado. This unit while water testing the smart raft gauges go out and say comm issue and it deranged to idle speed. I scanned and it had several codes one was can3 any thoughts.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What were all the codes that came up on the scan?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
There were a few the can code and also. Etc faults. And neutral over speed.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will be back at the unit in about 1/2 hr if you need the fault #s

The numbers would help greatly. It would allow me to look them all up and get to the bottom of this quicker.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok be back to you shortly

Sounds good. Talk to you then.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Driver low power 132.52, smart start err 132.52, ETC control 132.52, ETC sticking 132.52, CAN ERR3-138.48, guardian 138.48,neutral over speed, over speed 1, hrs 138.75

Got it. The numbers next to them are engine hrs.

The 3 codes at 138 Hrs would be the most recent. CAN 3 is a redundant control system. The engine uses CAN 1 and 2 as the primary ones. Look at the plugs-in on the engine where the SMartCraft harness and the key switch harness plug in to make sure that they are both clean and tight. Then look in the console where the junction box is anf the control module. Check those connections as well.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The harness was just replaced due to vandalism

Just before this all happened?

Did anyone go through the handle adaption after replacing the harnesses?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Idk another shop did the replacement.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What is the handle adaption

The handle adaption is where a Mercury laptop is connected to the engine and then steps are gone thru to get the controller and engine to talk properly to each other.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Got ya. I found the issue. The new harness that was pulled through the hull the cannon connector was broke so when it was lock it pushed all the terminals back. And a when a wake was hit it shook the connector. I guess new question is the cannon plug eng replaceable. Or is it factor assembled
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The side of the connector that is blue (the engine side) is what is broken.

It is factory assembled. The pins need to go in the correct order for the engine. Mercury does not have a diagram on it that I know of.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I got it back together for now the owner wants to see if it is replaceable

If the pins are all in the correct location, you can add a bit of glue to it to hold it together. That is what is on them from the factory.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok but If the harness pulls
Out of the connector willl glue hold it in? I think he wants the female side connector body replaced if it not replaceable it will need a new harness pulled through the hull

there is a connector part for the harness, but you will need to know exactly where all the wires go. I have done it in the shop with one wire at a time for both connectors.

If not, the harness will need to be pulled thru the boat again, there is a tool for it that I am looking up.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok thanks I have the tool to remove the Deutsch terminals

the one I am looking up is the rigging tool to pull the 14 pin head thru the boat.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Oh ok

Cant seem to locate the one that I am looking for.

Found it. 91-888462A1

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Who makes this tool

Mercury does.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic