Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Won't start removed 2 wire connection from fuel pump turn…

Won't start removed 2...

Won't start removed 2 wire connection from fuel pump turn key on only showing .008 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Replaced fuel pump around 3 months ago had 12 volts at that time old pump was froze up. Wasn't going to used till spring so I didn't pump fuel in. Put new fuel in tank 2 days ago tried to start did not start checked pump had continuity checked voltage to pump when I turned ignition on only would show .008 volts dc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

My wife had been ill so wasn't used last year but started occasionally that's when it didn't start that I had 12 volts to pump but no fuel so that's when I replaced the pump. I didn't pump any fuel in or try to start I wanted change fuel out beforehand. So when I tried engine cranks so that's when i checked voltage.

3/27/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information, which engine are you asking about specifically?

Are you here?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
2006 me40 elpt45
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
2006 Mercury ME40 ELPT45 outboard

Mercury engines are cataloged by serial number. I will need that number in order to see exactly which version of the 40 you have. Do you have that number handy?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My name is***** won't be able to do any hands on checks this afternoon misting rain and 50 degrees but if there are anything I could check tomorrow it would be appreciated.

Hi Junior. I don't even know what engine you have without that serial number. Do you have that number handy so I can see exactly what you have?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Serial# *****

T​hat's actually 1 number to short. There are going to be 6 numbers after the letter C, you only listed 5 numbers. Can you double check that for me.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
1C007261

Ok​ay I've got everything I need. When you checked for power at the fuel pump connector, did you ground your negative meter lead to the plug or to the engine block?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Plug

Ground your meter lead to the engine block, any place that is clean and free of paint, and then check for power at the plug.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Red wire .070 black .004

Was the key turned to run when you checked the voltage?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no reading with off.

Got it. Now each time you turn the key to run, can you hear the main power relay click?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do you mean key on or start the whistle comes on when I turn key on can't here anything back at motor for whistle sound.

J​ust key on. Each time you turn the key to RUN, the main power relay on the engine should click and turn on. It might be tough to hear, especially over the buzzer noise. Do you have a helper to cycle the key for you while you check out the relay?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'll check may take me a bit.

Okay just let me know if you can hear it click or not each time the key is turned to run, and we will take it from there.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Couldn't here relay pushed around on stared clicking so I tried and it started Yeah!! I'll pull the relay and clean connections.Thank you Jason just really did know what control the power.

G​lad to hear you got it going! You really will want to get yourself a new relay. When they develop corrosion in the relay sockets that causes the relay to burn up prematurely. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic