Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2003 Yamaha T8PLRB 4 stroke motor. I was backing up…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Yamaha T8PLRB 4 stroke motor. I was backing up and got into weeds. Now the propeller won't spin in reverse but forward works. any idea what the problem might be?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Happened just before I put the boat away for the winter

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That depends on what it might be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I now of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
3/27/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Will the propeller not spin at all in reverse? Is the boat on the water or on a trailer? Are you near the outboard now?

My name is***** am not near the boat now. The propeller spins freely when it is in reverse.

Hi Jim. There are a number of things it "could" be. Did you want to get back to me later on when you were near the boat, so we could check a few things together?

The boat is in winter storage. I won’t have it back for 3-4 weeks. Can I call you then?
Our lakes are still frozen. Been a cold winter

Yes that's no problem, there are no time limits here, just reply back once you have the boat in front of you and we can take it from there.

Okay thanks Jason

You are very welcome.