Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Got the batteries all charged back up on my Sea Ray. Is it…

Hey Jason,Got the batteries all...
Hey Jason,Got the batteries all charged back up on my Sea Ray. Is it safe to start it while it’s out of the water?
3/27/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello, Jason here. You can start it but you have to get cooling water to the engine first, for that you will need a garden hose and a set of flushing muffs.

Click this link, these would be the flushing muffs - https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Motor-Flusher-Dual/dp/B004LR9SDI You can get those locally at places like west marine or Walmart.

Next, click this link, this will explain how to hook the muffs up. In the video the presenter is using a Yamaha outboard, however, the process is exactly the same on your Mercruiser sterndrive - https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUX5uNpKyy9TU6f1tkCYn0LA&v=e9fZ5ykTne4

Aside from that, just make sure you turn the water on before you start the engine, and turn the engine off before shutting the engine off. Also, on the garden hose, do not turn the spigot up to full blast, it only needs to be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way open. If you turn it up to full blast it will likely push the muffs off of the sterndrives. As always, I do want to make sure that I have given you 5 star service. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service at this time. Thanks again,

Jason

What about running the garden hose to the engin itself? Like when we “flush out” the engine?

I'm not sure, does your engine have some sort of aftermarket flushing device added to it? Can you send me some pictures of what you are talking about?

I believe the point is is to get the salt and bracish water out?

I see it. You would still need to get a set of those flushing muffs. The reason being is there is an impeller inside of the outboards lower unit. That impeller needs to be "wet" at all times, or else it will burn up. If you use that flushing port while running the engine out of the water, the impeller will run dry, and burn up after 15 to 20 seconds.

Oh wow ok good to know. Thanks Jason
I guess the easiest way is just lower the boat lift, make sure the prop is in the water and run it? never start the engine out of the water without flushing muffs?

If it's on a lift, then yes by all means just lower it. Whenever you want to run the engine, the lower unit either needs to be completely submerged underwater. Or, you would have to use those flushing muffs and feed water to the lower unit that way. Whenever the engine runs, water must be fed to the lower unit in order to cool and lubricate that impeller.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thanks Jason. I have another question but I’ll open a new question

Y​ou are very welcome. I'll keep an eye out for your next question.