Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Engine was starting and running, but now nothing. I have an…

Customer Question
Engine was starting and...

Engine was starting and running, but now nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I have an 2003 Suzuki 40 four stroke

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I’m sure there’s lots

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I was told that there’s a neutral switch inside the remote and also on the motor itself. I have checked both of those. I have also checked my starter with jumper cables and it works fine and will actually start the motor. But when I turn the key, I get the buzzer and I can also hear the fuel pump. That makes me think it’s something electrical?
3/26/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is the engine cranking over but not starting, or does it not crank over at all when you turn the key to start?

I’m Stuart
Does not crank over

Hi Stuart. Okay got it. Do you have a volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurments? If yes, are you near the outboard now and ready to get to work?

I don’t have one but my dad does. I don’t really know how to use one?

I'm sorry but teaching you how to use a volt meter would be beyond the scope of what we do here, you would already have to know how to use one.

Ok I understand

I ​will opt out and leave your question open to the community. If one of the other guys wants to teach you how to use a multimeter they will jump in, but it's just not something I do.

Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** you still require assistance with your engine?

It’s still not turning over

Ok, did you ever get that meter?

I just bought a simpler meter I believe

Ok. First lets check the voltage going to the starter solenoid. On your meter, set it to 20V DC. Then on the starter solenoid, test the small wire coming from the key switch for voltage when the key is held in the start position.

For the meter Red is always positive, and black is always negative. Red meter lead will go to the solenoid wire, black will go to a clean spot on the engine as a ground.

If I’m on the correct wire, on this tester it’s showing +6 or +12

What tester do you have?

Southwire. 41150S voltage tester
Maybe not what I should have?

It will work. You should see +12 and the straight line lit up.

If the wires is correct, the key has to be held in start for the test to read anything. If you are getting a reading with the key off, or just in the on position, it is not the correct wire.

Must not be the correct wire then because I cannot hold the start and get to the motor. I don’t have anyone now to help with that

With this test, you will need a helper. It just cant be done any other way.

Ok. So if it’s not turning over when I turn the key to start, but I can place a screwdriver between the hot and ground where these wires come in and make the engine start, you think maybe it’s just the solenoid?

I would not recommend using the screwdriver approach. With that you are bypassing the systems we need to check.

I am thinking it may be the solenoid, but we need to know if it is getting voltage or not. you can unplug the small wire from the solenoid, then touch it to the positive post on the solenoid just to see if it will activate and turn the engine over.

While you are at the engine, turn the prop and make sure that it will spin freely.