Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I owns a 1998 Doral 360 SE with Twin 7.4l Merc’s. I have an…

Customer Question
Hi there Mechanic's Assistant:...

Hi there

Mechanic's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Hi, I owns a 1998 Doral 360 SE with Twin 7.4l Merc’s. I have an issue with a gimgel drive on the port motor and need to lift the engine to replace the drive. Do you have any suggestions on how to lift it. The engine sits half way back in fixed area of the compartment behind the opening of the hatch. Can’t get to it with a boom or crane. What is used to lift a motor on a 360se and where would I find it? Thank-you for your response

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Hi, ed to replace a gimbel drive on a 7.4l Marc in a 1998 doral 360se. Can’t reach the motor with a boom to lift it as the engine sits to far back in the engine room behind the hatch opening. Do you know of any equipment or techniques used to lift this motor on the doral 360se?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
3/26/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Are you trying to replace the a portion of the sterndrive assembly, or are you trying to pull the engine out?

Replace a portion of the stern drive

What part of the sterndrive are you trying to replace? The gimbal housing, gimbal ring, or bell housing?

Gimbel ring

G​ot it. You do not have to remove the engine to change the gimbal ring. Are you having a hard time with the nut and bolt for the steering lever?

Pulled the leg off to service and noticed the gimbal ring is worn. Needs to be replaced but very difficult to get at

I​t's a very difficult job. Which part of the job are you having trouble with? Have you read through the service manual yet to see how it all comes apart?

Sorry the problem is the drive coupler. Not Thelma the gimbal ring. Need to lift the motor to get at it but the engine is about a foot too far back to reach it with a boom

Are you able to strip the engine down in place? By that I mean remove the exhaust manifolds, remove all the accessories on the front of the motor, pull the intake manifold and cylinder heads off, undo the motor mounts, and pull it forward?

Pull it forward with what?

2 strong men. Stripped down the weight should be about 275 lbs.

Thought of strippping it down but there has to be a less labor intensive way to service a drive coupler and a tool used to do it.
Thanks anyway
If you come up with something my email is***@******.***
Thank-you for now

Y​eah I don't think i'm going to be able to help you here. You will just have to bring the boat into a boatyard where they have all the proper lifting equipment.