Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Outboard want shift into forward. Outboard motor runs and…

Customer Question
Outboard want shift into...

Outboard want shift into forward

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Outboard motor runs and will go in reverse but want shift back into forward

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
3/26/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. Which outboard are you asking about specifically?

my name is ***** ***** Yamaha hpdi 225

H​I Chuck. Is the boat on a trailer or in the water right now? Are you near the outboard now?

A​re you still here Chuck?

On trailer

W​hen did this problem start? When did it last shift into forward correctly? Have you tried anything or looked at anything on your own yet? Are you near the outboard now?

Was running down lake and when I got off plane the boat shut down. When I started that boat back up it would not engage in forward. It would shift into reverse fine but when I shifted to neutral or back to forward it stayed in reverse.

S​o does it feel like the shifter itself is broken? Are you able to pull the engine cover off, move the shifter handle back and forth, and see if the shift cable moves?

It’s moves, I did notice a small nut on one of the shift cable arms had backed off

I​f the shift cable does move. The next step would be to pop the shift cable off the outboard, then try to shift the linkage by hand, and see if you can get it into neutral or forward. Can you do that?

Not at this moment. I can when I get to the boat

W​hen would that be? Should I be waiting for you, or is it going to take you hours or days to get to the boat?

I should be around boat this afternoon around 4:30

O​kay just let me know when you are ready. Honestly, this would probably be better if you could be near the boat at the same time we are talking.