Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Which position ensures each switch (nav, anchor, cockpit…

Which position ensures each switch...
Which position ensures each switch (nav, anchor, cockpit lighting, fuel pump and bilge pump)!is in the OFF position on my 2016 Sea Ray 270 Sundeck? Up position or down? Thanks
3/25/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. On the switches, down is off, and up is on. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! So the Detailer left everything on then and drained the batteries?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could this have damaged my water pump running out of the water?

So the Detailer left everything on then and drained the batteries? ​

​I'm not sure? When you went to the boat were any of the switches in the UP position?

Are you talking about the seawater pump? (the impeller?)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1) When I went to the boat all switches were up.2) the pump that allows us to wash our hands, hand shower etc

Okay if all the switches were up, then everything was on.

On the pump, no, that would not have been damaged. Basically that pump has a pressure switch that is built inside of it. The way it works normally is when you open up the faucet, pressure in the line will drop, which causes pressure in the pumps pressure switch to drop, and the pump then kicks on and pushes water. When you close the faucet, pressure starts to build in the water hose. Once pressure gets high enough, the pump shuts off. The only way the pump could possibly be damaged is if the pump was left on, the faucet was left on, and the pump ran and ran until the fresh water tank was empty. Does that all make sense.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does and thanks! So final question, just trickle charge both batteries and to 100% and all should be ok?

T​hat will get your batteries back up and running. The only other thing you would want to check is your bilge pump. Bilge pumps have a separate float switch, that is mounted next to the pump itself. It's not uncommon for those float switches to get stuck in the up position, causing the bilge pump to constantly run. Was there anything else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I hooked up the battery to trickle charge it and turned it on, the bilge pump went off immediately (pardon my stupidity but the bilge pump is the pump that allows water to exit the boat correct?)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All switches were in the up position when I turned my trickle charger on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I now turned the battery in the off position and all switches are down while it trickle charges

Correct, the bilge pump is what pumps the water out of the boat. When you hook up your charger make sure all of the switches are down. If the boat is completely powered up basically all of those items (the lights and whatnot) are going to draw from the charger, and the charger is going to run those lights instead of charging the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all should be good as far as what I’m doing now?

Yes. There really isn't anything else you need to do. Just trickle charge the batteries for about 12 hours or so. They are big batteries so they will take all day to charge.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You’re the man! Thanks

You are very welcome. Thanks again and happy boating!

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic