Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Need carb, syn and setting info for 40hp, carb, 4 cyl, 4…

Need carb, syn and...

Need carb, syn and setting info for 40hp, carb, 4 cyl, 4 stroke mercury

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Kited the carbs and need sync and setting info havent found a manual online yet for this model

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No not really

3/25/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I'm sure that I have this as I have all the books. But I will need the serial number off of the outboard in order to pull the correct manual. Do you have that serial number handy?

sure 0T232410, tag is gone got that off soft plug

O​kay got it. Give me a couple of minutes to look through my library, and make some copies.

40 hp 4 stroke carb version 4 cylinder I think manual is 858896 kinda of a odd ball I guess
Im Jerry, Sorry

H​I Jerry. Okay I've uploaded it now. Click this link, this will cover the carburetor sync procedure for your engine. If you have any specific questions on any of the steps or anything like that, feel free to ask. Click here I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

its the bigfoot version also !

It looks like we posted at the same time. If you scroll up you will get my answer/the sync procedure.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Just out of curiosity, was there a reason you left me a 4 star rating instead of a 5? I gave you the info you needed, and I thought that I was pretty quick about it. Just curious.

do you have air fuel mix also
that is the one been looking for, thanks alot need air fuel also
I rate Jasons service 4 star

The idle mixture screw is 1 turn out from a lightly seated position.

even during syn process,
sync, sorry

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean?

do you need to change during the sync process

No they do not. All you do on the idle mixture screw is turn it in until lightly seated, then back out 1 full turn. That will set your idle mixture. On the sync process, what you are actually doing there is adjusting the throttle valves on the carburetors so that each cylinder pulls the same amount of vacuum. Basically the top 3 carbs have adjustable throttle valves, but the bottom carb does not. What you do here is hook up the carb sync tool (which is a set of vacuum gauges) and see what the bottom/#4 cylinder is drawing for vacuum, then adjust the top 3 carbs so that they match the bottom carb.

ok thanks alot, trying to get done on weekend ya know

You are very welcome. Thanks again and good luck!

thx