Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have an Airmar triducer DST800 P617V installed in a

Customer Question

I have an Airmar triducer DST800 P617V installed in a Raymarine Seatalk system. Everything was working fine a couple months ago. Now the system is not giving me water speed or true wind. I am getting depth and temp. I have removed the triducer and spun the water wheel, with no results. The same 3 dots on the data display. I think I have identified where the cable coming from the triducer connects to the chart plotter. Is there a way to troubleshoot the triducer from this connection?
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: all equipment is less than two years old - new boat.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

What you will need to test the speed on the tri-ducer is a magnet. One one of the blades there is a magnet that is what breaks the signal and sends the speed data to the plotter.

If you do not see that one blade of the speed wheel is magnetic, then the magnet in it has fallen out and the tri-ducer will need to be repaired.

This tri-ducer does not give you the true wind. That is the aerometer that is on the boat.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When can I expect an answer?
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

I just sent it to you.

Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Here you can get a repair kit for the speed wheel.

http://www.imarineusa.com/Airmar33-398-04.aspx

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One of the paddles is still magnetized
Tom
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Great.

On the plug end to the unit. Make sure that the connection os clean and tight to the unit. Also follow the wire lead as far as you can to make sure that it is not cut or chaffed anywhere.