Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am considering buying a used 2002 Four Winns 214 Funship…

I am considering buying...

I am considering buying a used 2002 Four Winns 214 Funship deck boat. It is powered with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GI/DP. I got on line to look at complaints about the boat. Iy seems as if water getting into the cyliders is a repetitive problem (or the same guy got on a bunch of blogs).

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
There was also advice to avoid an "XDP Drive"? Is the "GI/DP" designation on the "Volvo Penta 5.7 GI/DP" the drive? Or in other words does this motor have a "GI/DP" drive?
3/24/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. DP is a different drive than an XDP. DP drives are fine, XDP drives you would not want. Did you have any other questions on the issue?

The Volvo Penta 5.7 seems to have issues with water getting into the cylinders. At least form some blog posts I saw. I'm guessing this is a fairly common I/O motor. What do you think?

I​ certainly do not mind giving you a call, but I want to make sure you understand the charges first. You paid for an online chat only. If you want to switch to phone, Justanswer does charge an additional 26 dollars for the call, as it is considered a premium service. The actual call time is unlimited, and you can ask as many questions as you like. Did you want to do the phone call or did you want to stay in online chat?

I guess at this point it's not really a complicated question. What is your opinion of the Volvo Penta 5.7 motor does it seem to have frequent problems with water getting into the cylinders?
In other words we can forget about the phone call for now

I have a degree in marine technology, I am certified with Volvo engines, gas and diesel, as well as certified with most other brands as well. Water in the cylinders is essentially caused by 1 of 2 problems.

Either;

1. The exhaust manifolds and or risers have rotted out. Exhaust manifolds and risers are wear and tear items, and they do not last the life of the engine. If you boat in saltwater, and never flush the engine after every use. Risers can last as little as 2 years before rotting out. Manifolds about 5 years before rotting out. If you boat in freshwater the parts will last a decade or more, but even in freshwater they will eventually rot out.

2. The other thing that causes it is if the boat/engine simply was not engineered properly. With sterndrive and inboard powered boats, there is a measurement that needs to be made regarding the height of the exhaust system on the engine. This measurement is called a "static water line" measurement. On all sterndrive boats, there is always water in the exhaust system, even when the engine is not running. The level of this water is critical, and it has a direct relationship to how high/tall the exhaust risers need to be. This is something that is figured out during the engineering phase of the boat. If this measurement is not correct, water can get sucked through exhaust valves, and flood the cylinders. Click this link, this is a PDF file that explains what this measurement is. The file does come from a Mercruiser manual, but it's the same regardless of whether it's a Mercruiser or Volvo engine - http://calabriaboats.com/merc_service_manual/90-863758070_6C.pdf

Those are the only 2 normal ways water would get into cylinders. Other ways it "can" happen but are not as likely is if the boat is left to sit in rough water, and the boat is rocking side to side to the point that the boat is almost rolling 90 degrees in either direction. That will do it. As well as if there is any kind of leak in the engine compartment,, and rain or spray water leaks into the engines intake. Or, if the engine is not winterized correctly, and water is left in the engine, that water can freeze and crack a water passageway in the intake manifold, which would allow water to get sucked in. When you read the stuff on the internet, 99.5% of the time there is water in the cylinders is because the exhaust risers/manifolds are shot, and people just don't want to admit it to themselves that it's time to replace them, as it is a fairly expensive repair.

Aside from that, these are good engines. I actually prefer them to the Mercruiser counterparts because they are much easier to work on. The engines/drives you do not want are what are called "OSI" engines and "XDP" sterndrives. They only made these engine/sterndrive packages for 3 years. 2006, 2007, and 2008. But the GI engines, GL, and GXI engines are all fantastic. The SX and DP family of sterndrives are also fantastic. They do not have any history of known defects or anything like that. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic