Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1988 Prostar and have no problems starting it 95%

Customer Question
I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 Prostar and have no problems starting it 95% of the time. Occasionally it will turn over but not start. Sometimes first thing in the morning, sometimes right after it has run for a few hours with several start ups. Pushing on the throttle housing sometimes takes care of the problem. Frustrating

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

This has been the only problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
3/24/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Which engine is in your Prostar boat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
351

I​s it just your basic carbureted model?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Names Pete and yes, just a basic carb
Turns over without a problem. It can start 10 times in a row and then not start for an hour

H​I Pete, good morning. I'm still trying to gather some more information. When it does not start, is it only under certain circumstances? For example, does it not start only when hot, or when cold, or say does it not start after sitting for a week? How long have you owned this boat for, and has it ever been any different fro you in the past? These engines are old fashion, and they are not turn key like a modern day car is. You do have to start them a certain way or else they will be very hard to start. Can you tell me how you are trying to start it both when cold and when hot? Finally, with these engines having older points style ignition systems, they do require yearly maintainence, when was the last time this engine had a full and complete tune up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It will fail to start in the morning after sitting all night or after pulling skiers for a few hours. I have owned the boat for 15 years and have had tune ups, the last being a total 3 years ago.Wondering if it is the needle and float?When it doesn't start we try either choke in and out, and put the throttle in reverse mode with choke on. When it starts it will start using either method.

D​o you happen to know which carburetor is on the engine? (By that I mean do you know who makes it?)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Boat is in storage 400 miles away. I have never changes it out. Will check my service book but I doubt it will list it.
Thanks

H​ere is where I am at so far. On the tune up items. The engine has a cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, and points and condenser for the ignition system. Out of all of that, the points/condenser, cap, rotor, plugs should be changed every season as they corrode from the sitting. At the very least the points and condenser, and plugs, absolutely need to be changed every year. On the carburetors, the vast majority of these engines used Holley carbs. On the carbs there is a power valve at the bottom of it. Those valves are known for leaking, which would cause the engine to flood out. Where I would start on this one is by doing the plugs and the points and condenser, and seeing if it makes it better or not. If it does not, then do the cap and rotor. If it still does the same thing, then at that point it would be safe to pull the carb and have it rebuild. Does that all make sense to you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have checked my invoices as I keep complete records of all maintenance on the boat. The Marina gave it a complete tune up,plugs, cables, points, condenser, rotor, last May. I told the marina about the problem when I took the boat out last fall and asked them to check the carb. They checked and said it was not the problem. That is why I turned to just answer after going on Mastercraft's site. Problem has me and the Marina stumped.
Thanks
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 26 days ago

Personally I would get rid of the points system and install a pertronix system. It will make the engine more reliable overall.

Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 days ago

Hey there. I never heard back from you. How did you make out?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic