Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I updated my Lowrance Elite 7Ti and now the transducer is…

Customer Question
I updated my Lowrance...

I updated my Lowrance Elite 7Ti and now the transducer is not sending any information. Please advise!

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

The machine only shows me maps and all other features are not working - no side image, no downscan or sonar.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?

The unit was working fine for about two hours after I installed the update. But now nothing. I have soft reset then hard reset. I'm needing guidance.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Ok - I need assistance. Go for it!

Go into the menu and then to transducer. Select the transducer that you have on the boat. What I have seen happen is that the trhansducer will lose its selection and then not work properly.

He's trying that now. We had to go outside to the boat and depth finder. Please hang on.

No problem. I will be here.

We're not finding a 'transducer' option in the menu.

Look into the Sonar screen. It should be there,

Ok he found the option and entered the transducer. What now - it didn't start working. Should he power off or what?

is the boat on land or in the water?

land

You really wont see a reading when it is not in the water. To do a test, it will need to be in the water.

We've always been able to at least see a surface line when on land. But never the bottom, obviously. Now we can't see either and the screen doesn't move like it used to.

Is the 2d Sonar working still?

No - it is not.

Ok, with the unit still on, listen to the transducer and see if it is clicking?

There is no clicking.
Are you stumped?

No sorry, had to step away for a minute

Check the transducer connection to the unit, make sure that there is no corrosion and it is tight to the unit.

Also, look along the cable of the transducer to check for any nicks or cuts in it.

We did all of that in the light of day.

Great.

Is the GPS functioning?

the GPS works.

If you have a map card installed, power the unit off, then remove it. Power the unit back up and see if it is going to function. If it does not, make sure that your software is up to date. Reloading it may correct the issue. If it does not, then the transducer would be bad.

I don't have a map card installed - they're built in the machine. The software was just updated. But we could try to reload it. And yes, we thought the transducer could be bad. We were just hoping that was not the case.

I know that they are costly, and you have already done all of the steps that Lowrance would have you do.

Any other suggestions?

Do you have a standard transducer to try on the unit to make sure that it is not in the head unit?

Maybe - on a different boat. He's thinking.
No, we don't have another total-scan transducer - just a regular transducer is what we have on another boat.

A regular one with the blue locking ring should work at a test. Just connect it and then see if you get a reading on the Elite.

We don't have a transducer with a blue ring.

A buddy maybe? If not, I feel that you will need to get a new transducer. If the unit is less than 2 yrs old, it does have warranty on it still.

Ok - thank you for your time.

Your very welcome.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.