Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Just upgraded to a helix 9 series ,mega SI and concerned…

Just upgraded to a...

Just upgraded to a helix 9 series ,mega SI and concerned with mounting new tranducer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

I have older 787 c2 hummingbird unit that I want to keep and move to the bow and install my new unit at the helm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?

I have an 18 lowe fisherman boat all set up and not sure if i can have two tranducers closely mounted.

3/23/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

is there a problem with mounting two tranducers on transom of 18' aluminum boat?
want to move my old 787c2 hummingbird to bow and install new 9 series at helm

The transducers need at least 12' between them to function properly. When moving the 787 to the front, you could go to just a downscan transducer and mount it directly to the trolling motor so you see what is actually at the bow, and not what is 18' behind you.

Both units can be running at the same time as well. With the two large transducers on the rear of the boat, it would be possible for one to see the other and create a blank spot in the image.

is there a correct or better downscan to mount on trolling moter?
hummingbird or other brand down scan unit ?

Are you referring to a unit or a transducer?

tranducer.
also I've been told that the correct way the tranducer should be mounted on transom is so it just skims the water when running at speed , is that correct ?
what about my last question ?
hello ??

The correct transducer for the trolling motor will be just a downscan one for the 787.

ok, good thanks.
all done.

Your rear transducer should be mounted so that it is just at the bottom of the hull when installed. This will position it so that it is at the waters edge when on plane.

One thing that you could do over time is to get the Helix 7 or 9 downscan for the bow. With these you can use the ethernet on them and link to the 9 at the helm and get both side and down at both locations

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic