Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Do I need to install a inline fuse to my raymarine dragonfly…

Customer Question
Do I need to...

Do I need to install a inline fuse to my raymarine dragonfly 4 if I am connecting to a fuse box with 5 amp fuse?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

I am installing a Dragonfly 4 Pro and didn't know if I needed to use an inline 5a fuse since I am connecting to my fuse box that has a 5 a fuse in it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Boat
3/22/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I do understand that not all fuses come in all different sizes given the type of fuse. However, if you can swap the 5 amp fuse in your fuse box for a 4 amp fuse that would be ideal. If you can not get a 4 amp fuse in that same style. Then you want to get an inline fuse holder, with a 4 amp fuse, and stick that on the power wire. I also complete understand that 4 amp vs 5 amp doesn't sound like that much, but, when you do the math, a 5 amp fuse will allow 20% more current through it when compared to a 4 amp fuse, and these types of electrics are sensitive. You will likely never have a problem with the 5 amp fuse, but personally I would change it out to a 4, if the unit were mine I wouldn't want to have it fry over a simple fuse issue. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason