Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a 40 hp 2 stroke. One cylinder has milky stuff in it.

Have a Johnson 40...

Have a Johnson 40 hp 2 stroke. One cylinder has milky stuff in it. It won't let motor turn over with plugs in it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

40 HP 2 stoke Johnson one cylinder has a milky substance it won't let the motor even turn over

3/21/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Is this happening to you on the hose or in the water?

Charles, on both it won't even try to start it pegs compression gauge and and won't turn over but once with plugs out and gauge hooked up. it turns over fine with both cylinders open

With no water in the cylinder, are you able to get a good compression reading?

Do you also have the full model number for the engine so I can get the diagrams pulled up?

no sir

Do you know the year of the engine?

no maybe 90s
I will have to find the title the tag is gone.

Ok, you have 2 areas that will need to be checked that can allow water to enter the cylinder. Those are the head gasket and the exhaust plate. I would lean more toward a blown head gasket.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1993/J40EETB/CYLINDER%20&%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Ok thank you.

If you go to pull the exhaust plate 16 in the diagram. Be careful on the bolts. They may break on you. Had that happen to several on these older engines.