Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Milky color oil - mechanic says cracked block based on that.

Milky color oil -...

Milky color oil - mechanic says cracked block based on that. Since its a 1995 Im wondering if its old gaskets or someting else

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I did not seat the dipstick propoerly and when I saw the low oil pressure I noticed it was not the nice dark amber color. It looked fine when I added the oil but after sitting in a lift all winter (winterized) it looks like coffee

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

1995 sea ray 230 mercruiser 5.7

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​elly my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. If you start and run the engine, do you get an oil/water mix that pushes out of the dipstick tube after a minute or two? Or is the oil just a little milky?

oil is just milky
far I've paid $26 and all I got was questions. Where would I find the answers. I do not wnat to pay more just for a phone call that may not have an answer

Can you answer the questions I asked you?

Sorry thought I did - oil is just milky. nothing pushing out of dipstick

Got it, and how long did you let the engine run for? Did you let it run for more than 2 or 3 minutes?

engine was not running. just checked it before starting
but when brought to mechanic for oil change, tune up he said it was still milky and i had run it for 15 minute to load it onto the trailer from the dock (with lift)

B​ut you did run the engine at some point after noticing the milky oil, correct?

O​kay as long as it wasn't actually overflowing out of the dipstick, or pushing a water oil mix out of the valve covers, the problem is just going to be the intake manifold gaskets. When those gaskets leak, the water passage in the intake manifold will drip water down and into what is called the intake valley. The valley is always lubricated, and has oil drains that allow oil to drain back down into the pan. If the engine block was actually cracked, what would happen is you would have a water oil mix that would come out of the dipstick tube as well as out of the valve covers in under 90 seconds of run time. If that is not happening, if the engine is not overflowing with a water oil mix, then it's just the gaskets. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
I know very little about engines so when you say valve covers what area are you talking about?
I can't find a photo online so you can point out where.

Sure. Click this link for a picture. In the picture look for the gold sticker that says "327". That sticker is on top of the valve cover - http://www.thecairns.com/Impala/PSI_3354.jpg

thanks - no leaks there so that sounds like good news - really appreciate it.

I​f the engine block was cracked, it would literally overflow with an oil water mix in about a minute in a half, and make an absolute mess of the engine compartment. If that's not happening, then it's not a cracked block.