Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Whats the best choice of engine oil. I have 1 1993 V-6 alpha…

Whats the best choice...

Whats the best choice of engine oil. I have 1 1993 V-6 alpha stern drive. I think its 200 HP 20' Searay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

What engine oil should I run in my 1993 mercruiser V-6 engine. 200 HP, 4.3 liter

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

250 hours on engine

3/20/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Mercruiser wants you to run their own proprietary 25W40 oil, which they "invented" 15+ years ago. It's a grade of oil that only Mercruiser sells (and they sell it at a premium). If you go "by the book", that would be the best oil to use. However, before they invented that 25W40 oil, they would simply use 10W30 or 10W40. If you are boating in temps that are under 70F degrees, any good brand of 10W30 is fine. (Try and stay away from the walmart or house brands of oil) If your temps are higher, you want to use 10W40 oil. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic